Maintenance Priorities

This is a discussion on Maintenance Priorities within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just trying to juggle the cost and timing of some much-needed repairs/maintenance and have some questions. I have a 2002 ...

Maintenance Priorities

Just trying to juggle the cost and timing of some much-needed repairs/maintenance and have some questions.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with roughly 105k on the odometer. I've had a few unexpected expenses come up, so I'm a little thin on cash and need to prioritize the work!

With 105k on the odo, I know I need to do the timing belt/water pump. How long can I wait or should be be worried I haven't done this already? I talked to the local dealership and they said some people wait for 120k without issue... but I don't think I want to risk that.

Any ideas for where to buy inexpensive OEM timing belt/water pump kits? I have a friend who is a Subaru tech for the labor.

I've just started to experience some major brake pedal pulsation, but no pulsation through the steering column. Does this indicate whether the front or rear rotors are warped? I seem to recall somebody saying pulsation in the pedal is from rear rotors, but I may be wrong.

I also need to figure out what kind of brakes I'm putting on. Money is the main factor, but I've cheaped out on brakes once before... and won't ever again. I don't autocross (as of now), but I do drive spiritedly. I currently have Powerslot rotors with Hawk ceramics and I do like them, but they're not exactly inexpensive.

So, which comes first? Any suggestions on good value rotor/pad combos?

Thanks!
    Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a recovering Euro Snob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might look at Gates for the timing belt and price the Subaru units in comparison. Ditto for the water pump. Have a talk with your local Napa guy and see what they say about Gates too.

I don't think our timing belt is the same materials as the ones where you could remove the front cover and eyeball them to get an idea of condition, as I've never seen one with visible wear - but I've only seen a few so I don't know.

The dealer is probably right but so are you, there's a risk in waiting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 22WRBWRX View Post
    Just trying to juggle the cost and timing of some much-needed repairs/maintenance and have some questions.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX with roughly 105k on the odometer. I've had a few unexpected expenses come up, so I'm a little thin on cash and need to prioritize the work!

With 105k on the odo, I know I need to do the timing belt/water pump. How long can I wait or should be be worried I haven't done this already? I talked to the local dealership and they said some people wait for 120k without issue... but I don't think I want to risk that.

Any ideas for where to buy inexpensive OEM timing belt/water pump kits? I have a friend who is a Subaru tech for the labor.

I've just started to experience some major brake pedal pulsation, but no pulsation through the steering column. Does this indicate whether the front or rear rotors are warped? I seem to recall somebody saying pulsation in the pedal is from rear rotors, but I may be wrong.

I also need to figure out what kind of brakes I'm putting on. Money is the main factor, but I've cheaped out on brakes once before... and won't ever again. I don't autocross (as of now), but I do drive spiritedly. I currently have Powerslot rotors with Hawk ceramics and I do like them, but they're not exactly inexpensive.

So, which comes first? Any suggestions on good value rotor/pad combos?

Thanks!

Well you could look at this one of two ways..option A: Safety first which would tell you to replace/resurface the rotors and possibly replace the pads, than wait and do the t-belt when the coin is there OR option B: Braking distance will obviously be increased however the car will stop when the brakes are metal to metal, so Do your timing belt to prevent the possibility of breakage and further engine repairs...

If the front rotors are indeed warped you can still get a pulsation in the pedal, Usually you will feel the back/bottom of your seat pulsate if the rear rotors are warped..

I cant feel how bad the pulsation is however if it is nominal I would most likely be doing the timing belt at this time...

I Support ClubWRX
    What's weird is that in three separate instances and three different cars these past few years, I've had a pulsation go away after replacing only the rear pads -- no resurfacing, no messing with the front. I did not expect this but it happened. Very strange IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news! Found a timing belt/water pump and gasket for about $200 shipped. Having my buddy do the work for $200 and so that problem is fixed.

Now onto everything else...

I'm looking into rotors and pads. Not sure if it needs them all around yet, but it's not unlikely.

I don't race/autocross at this point, but drive... "spiritedly" and definitely heat up my brakes quite often. I'd like some slightly performance-oriented pads and rotors with decent life and good value. Looking into Hawk pads and ATE rotors from Tirerack.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by 22WRBWRX; 06-24-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a recovering Euro Snob.