Downshift kicks in Turbo timer and car shuts off?

This is a discussion on Downshift kicks in Turbo timer and car shuts off? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this morning on the way to work I had to downshift from 3rd into second to take a tight ...

Downshift kicks in Turbo timer and car shuts off?

So this morning on the way to work I had to downshift from 3rd into second to take a tight turn. After the down shift the turbo timer kicked in and did its countdown and shut the car off. I could feel the car did not like the downshift and will not be doing it again, but what caused the TT to shut down the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have no idea. Is the car stock? Why is there a turbo timer on it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin View Post
    I have no idea. Is the car stock? Why is there a turbo timer on it anyway?

It was already installed in the car when I bought it.

Maybe uninstall it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I think to find more useful information, you'd have to tell us a bit more about your car. Mods/tunes etc.

Depending on what else you have under your hood, a good tune or maybe removing some mods would help you out.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465156 is Unabomber's post on the subject.

I would probably point my finger at another mod or tuning issue. Post up what is under the hood and some more knowledgeable people will chime in hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Yeah I think to find more useful information, you'd have to tell us a bit more about your car. Mods/tunes etc.

Depending on what else you have under your hood, a good tune or maybe removing some mods would help you out.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465156 is Unabomber's post on the subject.

I would probably point my finger at another mod or tuning issue. Post up what is under the hood and some more knowledgeable people will chime in hopefully.

As far as I know, it has an HKS BOV, Injen CAI, and some 3" catback exhaust on it. All this was done by previous owner.

The tt was installed in the dash so removing it would leave a hole. If its not hurting anything, ill just leave it. I get funny looks from people when I walk away from a "running" car. lol.

This may not have anything to do with the tt anyway. The car just wanted to shut off but the tt keeps that from happening. I just want to know what triggered the shutdown.

Will an over rev cause the ECM to shut down the car for safety reasons?

I Support ClubWRX
    I dunno. Adding a CAI and BOV without a tune might cause it to run a bit rough. If you can just get those removed easily I would recommend it. They aren't really helping your car out in my opinion.

I'd wait around for an ECU champ to help out. Maybe the previous owner got a weird tune on it or something.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I dunno. Adding a CAI and BOV without a tune might cause it to run a bit rough. If you can just get those removed easily I would recommend it. They aren't really helping your car out in my opinion.

I'd wait around for an ECU champ to help out. Maybe the previous owner got a weird tune on it or something.

Yeah, thats the plan, revert everything previous owner did and start over.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good idea. One easy way to make sure it isn't an old tune is to just get a stage 1 tune be it access port, open source, or professional. Just an idea.
    2011 STi Build Log

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    A BoV doesn't need a tune. In fact, you can't tune for them.

That Injen intake does need a tune to be used though.

Not exactly sure how downshifting could accomplish that unless you're accidentally pressing a button when you do it. Uninstalling/unplugging it would fix your problem. It serves absolutely no purpose at all anyways.
    Last edited by brfatal; 06-15-2010 at 10:28 AM.