Can anyone tell me what this noise is???

This is a discussion on Can anyone tell me what this noise is??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2010 hatch, little over 3,000 miles. When I am in second, using the engine to brake, when ...

Can anyone tell me what this noise is???

I have a 2010 hatch, little over 3,000 miles.
    When I am in second, using the engine to brake, when the car gets around 2,000 rpms there is a weird grinding noise. Sounds kind of like clutch chatter, but with the clutch engaged. Neutral, and clutch in are silent. It only does it in second gear around 2,000 rpms and drifting, no gas. 3rd gear does it a little bit, but not nearly as much as second. Maybe I am just paying attention to it more. Is this something that is normal for these cars? I can try to make a video of the noise if it will help explain it better.

It started doing it after about 500 miles.
    Last edited by socatevoli; 06-11-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: update

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't hear it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

let that thing break-in for a long time!
    2008 BLUE WRX 5 door.
    FOR SALE 2008 WRX BLUE AWESOME never raced, highway miles

i think i may have the same noise as you with the same circumstances, but ive been wondering why for a while. mines a MY06 with almost 70000 miles so i dont think it has anything to do with break in.

you havent done any mods yet have you?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

i've got a 2010 wrx, and i don't hear any noise when downshifting into 2nd aside from what you would expect. Can you post an audio clip of it happening?