04 STI engine trouble

This is a discussion on 04 STI engine trouble within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone I am very new to the STI community and seeking some help. I have recently begun the task ...

04 STI engine trouble

Hello everyone I am very new to the STI community and seeking some help. I have recently begun the task of fixing up a 2004 STI for a family member. The car has been siting in a garage the past three years due to an engine issue that never got fixed. It was brought to the dealer a while ago and was diagnosed with a knocking rod or spun bearing. A full tear down would be required to see the real problem. 5k estimate

My question is how much should this cost? My mission is to sell the car. I just finished replacing a few interior parts and fixed the exterior up a bit. I do not know if I should sell the car as is for someone who is going to replace the parts with forged internals anyways or fix the engine in hopes that someone buys it.

The only thing I did so far was an oil change
    and I could not find any shavings

Here is a link to a youtube clip of the engine running
    for a few seconds.

YouTube - STI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gtU6GZnRdg

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    From YouTube I cannot tell whether it's a rod or even simply a t-belt tensioner, but that's just how video sound is.

Assuming the dealer was right, spend a couple grand and either replace the motor with a used running motor or replace the short block. The former is probably easier.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Like SD said, it's hard to tell from a youtube video, but that doesn't sound like knock to me. Knock is a bit of a louder and definite knocking sound, that sounds more like a loud tap. But with a video on YouTube sound is always distorted, so I can't say for sure.

If the engine does indeed need to be replaced, I agree with SD, buy a used motor and swap it in. Just purchase a long block to remove any possibility of head problems, because with that sound it could even be something in the heads.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I saw the video online with the t-belt tensioner and it does sounds very similar. Nothing appears to be wrong with it though. What else should I be looking for? You can clearly hear the noise coming from the left side of the block.

The sound is more of a clank then a clunk if that makes sense.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to gauge the cost because you don't know the true cost until you see the damage. At minimum it's going to be a new shortblock and oil pump. It's not uncommon for head damage to occur when either. Having been thru several SB replacements myself, that $5k dealership charge is definitely not unreasonable.