Maintenance questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Maintenance questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to be doing an all out service on my 2003 WRX wagon since I just got it and ...

Maintenance questions

I'm going to be doing an all out service on my 2003 WRX wagon since I just got it and don't know what it needs (114k miles) but I'm not sure what fluids etc that it takes. Can anyone tell me the type\weight\amounts for the following?

Diff fluid - front and rear
    Manual trans fluid
    Brake fluid
    Coolant
    I don't even know what weight oil it takes!

I'm also doing the plugs and fuel filter. I just had the timing belt done. Is there anything else I should consider doing?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Trans and front diff share the same fluid. 75W90, I'd recommend the Subaru fluid. But I'm running Uncle Scotty's ****tail and having success with it.

Rear Diff: Subaru LSD fluid, though I'm running redline currently, I'd still recommend the OEM fluid, which I will be going back to.

Brake fluid: Any Dot 3 or above fluid is fine, I'm running Motul Dot 4 fluid along with slotted rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads. Take that as you will.

Coolant: Regular green coolant is fine. Subaru recommends you add their conditioner to the mix.

Engine oil: 5W30 is recommended.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

What is LSD fluid?

So far I have found that the trans and rear diff take about 4 quarts. Is that correct?

How much does the front diff take?

Ill most likely stick with the Subaru fluid since I just want to replace it and have it work normally.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wasisnt View Post
    What is LSD fluid?

So far I have found that the trans and rear diff take about 4 quarts. Is that correct?

How much does the front diff take?

Ill most likely stick with the Subaru fluid since I just want to replace it and have it work normally.
    The WRX up to 2008 has a Limited Slip Differential in the rear. It's a special kind of differential that keeps differences in tire rotation between the two sides to a minimum and it requires a special fluid to keep it happy. Subaru has specific fluid for LSD's, which is what I mentioned.

Again, the front diff and transmission share the same fluid in the manual transmissions. If it were an automatic you would have separate fluid for the trans and diff, but in the manual, it is combined, so you only purchase one fluid. Capacity is 3.7 QT.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Ahhh, got it. The LSD didn't click until you said limited slip diff.

So 3.7Q each of the 75W90 from Subaru and I should be good to go

I Support ClubWRX
    Ahhh, got it. The LSD didn't click until you said limited slip diff.

So 3.7Q each of the 75W90 from Subaru and I should be good to go
    4qts total of the 75W90. Drain the tranny, fill through the dipstick tube, and you're good to go. Again, nothing different to do with the front differential, it's integrated with the transmission and just uses the trans fluild for lubrication, so only buy 4 qts of 75W90 and 1 qt (if it's available) of the LSD fluid for the rear diff.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Now I'm a little confused.

When I drain the trans it will drain the front diff since they are connected? If so then it takes 4 quarts to fill the trans and front diff all at once?

Then only 1 quart of LSD for the rear diff to fill it up?

I Support ClubWRX
    Now I'm a little confused.

When I drain the trans it will drain the front diff since they are connected? If so then it takes 4 quarts to fill the trans and front diff all at once?

Then only 1 quart of LSD for the rear diff to fill it up?
    Yep, that's what I mean by combined and shared fluid. 4 quarts total for the entire front part of the drivetrain. It also services the center diff. Trans + 2 diffs all with 4 quarts and one drain bolt.

And yes, 1 quart for the rear diff.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I also just read about using a sealant on the plug threads. What do they recommend?

I Support ClubWRX
    I also just read about using a sealant on the plug threads. What do they recommend?
    Nothing. Be sure to replace the gasket (washer) that goes on the plug, but other than that, no sealant on the threads.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Sounds good, thanks for all your help

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry but do you mean anti-seize? If so that's not a bad idea IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I read some places that you should put some type of sealer or lok tite on the threads.

I'm trying to find more info on the LSD fluid for the rear diff and am reading about LSD 90 but it may seem like people are using it only for the STI. Others say to use the 75w-90 in the rear.

I think the transmission and rear differential both use the same fluid. It is something like Subaru Extra-S or something like that. The dealer will know. Also look at the owners manual it has all the info you need. That is if you have it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I'm going to be doing an all out service on my 2003 WRX wagon since I just got it and don't know what it needs (114k miles) but I'm not sure what fluids etc that it takes. Can anyone tell me the type\weight\amounts for the following?

Diff fluid - front and rear
    Manual trans fluid
    Brake fluid
    Coolant
    I don't even know what weight oil it takes!

I'm also doing the plugs and fuel filter. I just had the timing belt done. Is there anything else I should consider doing?

Thanks
    PCV valve, extremely important especially on a turbo car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast