stalling... NOWW AT 70mph!

This is a discussion on stalling... NOWW AT 70mph! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all, i have an 04 wrx the car has been great, its now at 90k miles the car has ...

stalling... NOWW AT 70mph!

hey all, i have an 04 wrx

the car has been great, its now at 90k miles

the car has had an intermittent speedo problem for the last 2 weeks, yesterday the car stalled while sitting at idle

first thought nothing of it, then did it 2 more times at red lights on the way home, then the check engine light came on, i noticed the speedo stopped working totally, rather than being intermittent

ran codes, one was p0502, the speed sensor circuit...
    other i forget but was IAC reading low condition

so pulled the IAC and cleaned it, installed a new gasket, seemed stuck in one position, but after cleaning it now spun free

also cleaned the blow off valve out and reoiled it

...ran it for about 30 miles and seemed ok, didnt stall

then got on the highway and it stalled while in 5th gear at 70!! i almost died...seriously...

the rest of the 30 miles home it kept stalling, at red lights, while driving & at all rpm levels and gears

code is back....

any quick ideas on what it could be? should i just replace the entire IAC unit? i cant drive it like this, also i found it was odd the speedo stopped working completely at the same time as all this mess, does it share the same ground as the IAC?

thanks guys, hope i can get to the bottom if this..!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds more like a problem with the speed sensor, which would explain why your speedo stopped working. If I'm not mistaken, the P0502 code will toss the car into limp mode on it's own. Did the car just stop working? All power shut off and everything? That would likely be a battery connection or ignition problem.

The IACV shouldn't cause stalling like that, when the car is stopped and idling it can sure cause stalling, but while driving, no.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

it still had battery power, but the engine quits, it would cut out and id downshift a gear and pop the clutch and itd start again

what does limp mode cause the car to do? i know in my automatic pickup it causes the trans to shift super firm...dont know in a stick subaru though..

i was thinking the two might be intertwined...codes that is...being they happened at the same time

where is the speed sensor located? i have the service manual electical test for the speed sensor box, if i can find it... the dealer says when the speedo goes, its the back of the cluster circuit board...but i doubt that, then someone else told me there is a ground wire behind the dash clock that will cause it when loose...

thanks for the reply!...i def cant drive it anymore till i figure it out, cranking the engine to steer and brake while on the road is a little too dangerous for me

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farmereinar View Post
    it still had battery power, but the engine quits, it would cut out and id downshift a gear and pop the clutch and itd start again

what does limp mode cause the car to do? i know in my automatic pickup it causes the trans to shift super firm...dont know in a stick subaru though..

i was thinking the two might be intertwined...codes that is...being they happened at the same time

where is the speed sensor located? i have the service manual electical test for the speed sensor box, if i can find it... the dealer says when the speedo goes, its the back of the cluster circuit board...but i doubt that, then someone else told me there is a ground wire behind the dash clock that will cause it when loose...

thanks for the reply!...i def cant drive it anymore till i figure it out, cranking the engine to steer and brake while on the road is a little too dangerous for me
    If I'm not mistaken, limp mode will only allow the car to go to a certain RPM when under a certain amount of throttle, so this could be the reason for the cut out while cruising around, and the IACV causing it to not idle at all, kind of a culmination of problems.

Is your cruise control light blinking at all?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

What mods are on the car?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

no real mods, just a cat back exhaust & BOV turbo excess hrfl

i think that the speed sensor must have something to do with it...

where is that located at?

well tracing the wires down to the speed sensor on the trans allowed me to figure out what had happened

the harness going from the main harness behind the intercooler to the sensor had all 3 wires frayed together...looks like it was rubbing on the heat shroud back and forth for a long while

i was able to pop off the connector and resolder the wires into the connector...

does anyone know what that wiring connector harness is called?

thanks for all the help...now my speedo/odo works and the codes havent come back after i cleared them