question

This is a discussion on question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im new to WRXs' and im looking to buy a 04 wrx, its got a hks exhaust and a intake. ...

question

im new to WRXs' and im looking to buy a 04 wrx, its got a hks exhaust and a intake. inside its got a boost guage and a air/fuel guage. when i test drove it, when i punched it the a/f guage went all the way to rich. but just crusin its fine. i talked to one of my buddys and he said it might have been tuned wrong and someone else said its just because im punchin it and its readin that imdumpin more oil/gas into the motor. just wanted your guys opinions on this, lioke i said im new to these cars.

thanks
    mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

another thing i noticed is that it was runnin maybe 6-7 psi boost. i know thats low, i heard it should be runninat least 10-12 psi with pipe and intake

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Stock boost for an 04 WRX is 13.7 psi. That air fuel guage is useless if its not hooked up to a wideband o2 sensor, so if its one of those flashy light dealies, you're doing yourself a disservice by paying attention to it.

If the car has a turbo back exhaust it needs to be retuned if it hasn't been already.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Stock boost for an 04 WRX is 13.7 psi. That air fuel guage is useless if its not hooked up to a wideband o2 sensor, so if its one of those flashy light dealies, you're doing yourself a disservice by paying attention to it.

If the car has a turbo back exhaust it needs to be retuned if it hasn't been already.
    +1^..not to get to much off topic here but I had a guy come in the other day who asked me " which wire coming from the 02 sensor do i splice into for my A/F gauge"...

for the OP: Take the car to get a once over by a decent Subaru tech, it sounds like this car may have had a hard life...its worth it to pay an hours labor to find out what exactly your getting into...

you guys think it just needs a tune? and yeah i was thinkin about bringin it to the subaru dealer, because there isnt anyone in my area other then the dealer hah.

Quote Originally Posted by HoezCallMeMike View Post
    you guys think it just needs a tune? and yeah i was thinkin about bringin it to the subaru dealer, because there isnt anyone in my area other then the dealer hah.
    Personally I wouldn't go taking shots from the hip, and saying it needs something, when the car was previously modded, possibly the wrong way...I'm not to sure how mechanically inclined you are, but to a customer I would recommend bringing it in to check over before purchase...Also the whole thing about running 6 or 7 psi, we don't know if thats the gauge reading wrong or you have a boost leak, or you are running waste gate pressure etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Personally I wouldn't go taking shots from the hip, and saying it needs something, when the car was previously modded, possibly the wrong way...I'm not to sure how mechanically inclined you are, but to a customer I would recommend bringing it in to check over before purchase...Also the whole thing about running 6 or 7 psi, we don't know if thats the gauge reading wrong or you have a boost leak, or you are running waste gate pressure etc etc...
    thanks man. well take it to the dealer and see what he says, just because there is no other tech in the area.

if my bcs was bad and was causing only 6psi of boost, would this cure the problem?

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=145

Buying a modded WRX these days can be pretty sketchy.

Get a compression test and a leakdown test before you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock31 View Post
    Buying a modded WRX these days can be pretty sketchy.

Get a compression test and a leakdown test before you buy it.
    okay. one more question, where can i get a factory bcs for an 04?

okay. one more question, where can i get a factory bcs for an 04?
    Also called the Wastegate solenoid....take a peek here....
    http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_part...p?partid=17655

I Support ClubWRX
    if my bcs was bad and was causing only 6psi of boost, would this cure the problem?

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=145
    No offense but its sounds like this is very much over your head. Your just grasping at straws. Best advice if you really want one of these cars is to buy one unmodded preferably from someone with service records.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed with Donkey here, you really should be looking into an unmoddified WRX. Purchasing someone elses toy is never a good idea unless you're prepared to toss more money at it and willing to risk a lot of down time.

Trust me, I learned the hard way with my first WRX, but I was already mechanically enclined so it wasn't too big of a problem, but it cost me a lot more money than I'd care to admit.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Agreed with Donkey here, you really should be looking into an unmoddified WRX. Purchasing someone elses toy is never a good idea unless you're prepared to toss more money at it and willing to risk a lot of down time.

Trust me, I learned the hard way with my first WRX, but I was already mechanically enclined so it wasn't too big of a problem, but it cost me a lot more money than I'd care to admit.
    well i took one of my buddys who has a ton of subie experience, hes had wrxs' sense he was 16y.o. he drove it today and said everything was good cept its leakin boost. ill find out tomorrow how much id cost for a full tune