Looking for answers.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking for answers. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Noon here. Just got an 02 hatchback wrx and noticed some things that don't seem right. First, when I start ...

Looking for answers.

Noon here. Just got an 02 hatchback wrx and noticed some things that don't seem right. First, when I start it up after it's been sitting for a few hours it has a loud knocking sound, but it goes away after about a mile of driving. Also when I'm sitting with the engine on and in park it will start to shake a little, and only in park. The car has a brandnew timing belt and water pump. The only thing wrong that I know of is the CEL that gets thrown from my tumble valve.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds about right to me... My '02 ran the same 6 - 7 years ago, and is still running great.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Ok cool, good to know. Also it seems to eat gas like mad, figured that was just the car though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Aren't known to make it further than a hybrid in the desert to say the least, but if you want to check into it, maybe look into getting your car tuned. Might run a bit smoother and eat up less (or more) gas.

Said you just picked it up, so wasn't sure if it had any engine management in it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I thought it wasn't supposed to run properly with the tgv delete cels active. I don't think you are supposed to drive it like that but am not that familiar with the mod personally.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Engine knocking in any form isn't normal....

Idle and operation will be effected by the TGV deletes. You need a custom tune to account for this.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Piston slap is normal; early motors "fixed" under warranty simply started slapping again and I've not heard of anyone having any further issues from that. Knock is not normal, but since the noise goes away slap is likely.

It is unclear at least to me whether the OP has deleted the TGVs or simply has a TGV CEL. Either would explain rough running.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So just getting a new tumble valve should help. I heard that it really only helps with cold starts. Also I couldent find my tumble valve from a picture. Any help?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cgsimmang View Post
    So just getting a new tumble valve should help.
    I never said that. In fact I find it more likely you have an electric/onic problem -- what is the CEL?

I heard that it really only helps with cold starts.
    What is "it" above? I'm confused.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It is the tumble valve. The cel was eaither p1066 or p1099 I don't remember.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think either of those are valid codes. I think the TGVs tend to generate one or more of the following:

P1086 Tumble Generated Valve Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low
    P1087 Tumble Generated Valve Position Sensor 2 Circuit High
    P1088 Tumble Generated Valve Position Sensor 1 Circuit Low
    P1089 Tumble Generated Valve Position Sensor 1 Circuit High
    P1090 Tumble Generated Valve System 1 (Valve Open)
    P1091 Tumble Generated Valve System 1 (Valve Close)
    P1092 Tumble Generated Valve System 2 (Valve Open)
    P1093 Tumble Generated Valve System 2 (Valve Close)
    P1094 Tumble Generated Valve Signal 1 Circuit Malfunction (Open)
    P1094 Tumble Generated Valve Signal 2 Circuit Malfunction (Open)
    P1095 Tumble Generated Valve Signal 1 Circuit Malfunction (Short)
    P1097 Tumble Generated Valve Signal 2 Circuit Malfunction (Short)

In any case check the clips and wiring. My guess is you have an electrical issue.

Also see:
    Cel p01092 - tgv
    and
    Help on CEL code P1086 - Tumble generator valve
    or
    Cel p1090
    and definitely see this, if it comes to that (it might; see this for sure anyway):
    http://www.scoobymods.com/tgv-sensor...88-t5160.html?

EDIT: Emphasis on last post for part description. Remember, if it comes down to actually needed to replace a sensor, you can do it even though Subaru may not sell you a sensor alone -- it's the same sensor and it is sold separately but not as a "TGV sensor." Hopefully you only have a loose connection though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-09-2010 at 12:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.