turbo being weird/weird acceleration
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo being weird/weird acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, i havent posted in a while. i had a 03 wrx that was heavily modded that i then totalled. ...

turbo being weird/weird acceleration

ok, i havent posted in a while. i had a 03 wrx that was heavily modded that i then totalled. i have had 2 cars since then and have come back to a new REX. i LOVE this car. got it 2 weeks ago knowing that the clutch is bad, but it was perfectly driveable.

now, on to the problem.
    when i step on the accelerator and/or downshift to accelerate, the revs go up and i can hear the engine accelerating, but the car itsself doesnt accelerate. the revs go up and then come back down and then the car actually accelerates. it feels kinda like the clutch cant handle the initial power uppage and then it catches up. do you think the clutch could be SO bad that it has trouble accelerating?

also, my turbo doent seem to be working. i cant hear it like i normally do, but i cant test it w/ accelerating because of the above problem. could they somehow be related?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dlowe View Post
    i LOVE this car. got it 2 weeks ago knowing that the clutch is bad, but it was perfectly driveable.
    Heh, What?...
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's what clutches do when they go bad.... You already know the problem, fix it.

Welcome back to the Subie family btw.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn View Post
    Heh, What?...
    i knew the clutch was going to eventually need to be replaced, but it didnt seem that bad to me. my last car was a lifted 5spd jeep wrangler which drove like crap. so to me, the crappy wrx clutch still felt great.
    i was ok w/ knowing the clutch wasnt perfect because i got it for 4500. i knew the guy selling it, i knew it was in great shape and taken care of, just needed the new clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    That's what clutches do when they go bad.... You already know the problem, fix it.

Welcome back to the Subie family btw.
    when clutches go bad they make it so you cant accelerate well at speed? i didnt know that. i just thought they would grind and make it hard to acclerate off the line.

and thanks, im glad to be back, and i really hope to stay longer this time!

I Support ClubWRX
    when clutches go bad they make it so you cant accelerate well at speed? i didnt know that. i just thought they would grind and make it hard to acclerate off the line.

and thanks, im glad to be back, and i really hope to stay longer this time!
    Biggest indicator of a bad clutch is actually what is termed "slipping", RPMs will increase while speed stays the same. It's due to decreased friction material on the clutch disc. Grinding is more indicitive of other issues, though an improperly working clutch can cause some drivability issues like grinding.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Biggest indicator of a bad clutch is actually what is termed "slipping", RPMs will increase while speed stays the same. It's due to decreased friction material on the clutch disc. Grinding is more indicitive of other issues, though an improperly working clutch can cause some drivability issues like grinding.
    ok.
    so does that explain/possibly explain my turbo stuff? i can normally hear the turbo spooling and such, but as of late, i cant hear it at all and i dont get the typical turbo acceleration butterflies in my stomach. could that somehow be related to the clutches inability to hold the power?

I Support ClubWRX
    ok.
    so does that explain/possibly explain my turbo stuff? i can normally hear the turbo spooling and such, but as of late, i cant hear it at all and i dont get the typical turbo acceleration butterflies in my stomach. could that somehow be related to the clutches inability to hold the power?
    Fully, actually. Most of the power is being lost in that slipping action. Without the proper transfer of power, your car can't build boost properly with no actual load on the engine, no boost, no more power. The car sounds like it's fine. It's everything you can expect with a slipping clutch.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Fully, actually. Most of the power is being lost in that slipping action. Without the proper transfer of power, your car can't build boost properly with no actual load on the engine, no boost, no more power. The car sounds like it's fine. It's everything you can expect with a slipping clutch.
    woo!!!! youre my new favorite person.

anybody wanna buy me a new clutch as a 'welcome back to the subie world' present?

aw, man, no volunteers? lame!

aw, man, no volunteers? lame!
    hahah yea the clutch is the main contact between engine power and the wheels. At all times... Not just during 1st gear engagement. You're most likely losing power and think the turbo is fouled up because the most amount of torque hits the clutch when the turbo spools, which isn't instantly. I would recommend having the subaru dealer put the clutch in. It is more expensive but they warranty it for a year. Had to have mine replaced a month after I bought my '04, but thankfully I was in the same boat as you and knew before I bought the car.

Welcome back It's hard to stay away. What did you drive after your '03?
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

haha, well, after i totalled the 03, i got 9500 from insurance, so i spent 6k on a lifted 97 jeep wrangler and bought a GT mtn bike and some camera gear. the jeep was a piece of crap, so i traded it straight up for a built up 01 nissan xterra. then my friend told me her dad was selling the wrx, so i sold the xterra as soon as possible for 5900 and bought the wrx for 4500. with that money, plus extra, i've bought/built my own motobecane road bike and saved enough money for when the clutch finally went.

ordered the clutch today and im getting it installed at a really good shop near me.

haha, well, after i totalled the 03, i got 9500 from insurance, so i spent 6k on a lifted 97 jeep wrangler and bought a GT mtn bike and some camera gear. the jeep was a piece of crap, so i traded it straight up for a built up 01 nissan xterra. then my friend told me her dad was selling the wrx, so i sold the xterra as soon as possible for 5900 and bought the wrx for 4500. with that money, plus extra, i've bought/built my own motobecane road bike and saved enough money for when the clutch finally went.

ordered the clutch today and im getting it installed at a really good shop near me.
    Sweet deal! Good to hear everything is in order. I have an orange and white steel colnago classic with veloce cranks and components. I didn't know there were any cyclists on here. Maybe we should start a thread

Edit: My Dad has a classic Motobecane. Looks similar to this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/fil...op_bar_165.jpg
    I'll have to ask him about specs. He LOVES it though. Rides it as often as his full carbon Calfee.
    Last edited by CmrnDrgn; 06-08-2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn View Post
    Sweet deal! Good to hear everything is in order. I have an orange and white steel colnago classic with veloce cranks and components. I didn't know there were any cyclists on here. Maybe we should start a thread

Edit: My Dad has a classic Motobecane. Looks similar to this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/fil...op_bar_165.jpg
    I'll have to ask him about specs. He LOVES it though. Rides it as often as his full carbon Calfee.
    sweet! that bike sounds like a pretty nice one. how much does it weigh? my motobecane is full carbon fiber frame, handlebars and fork with SRAM rival components. i bet theres alot of cyclists here. start a thread so everyone can post pics of their rides.

holy crap, that thing really is oldschool. looks good tho.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.