Cel p01092 - tgv
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cel p01092 - tgv within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 2003 WRX. Last summer, my timing belt tensioner failed which led to the usually associated repairs. ...

Cel p01092 - tgv

I have a stock 2003 WRX. Last summer, my timing belt tensioner failed which led to the usually associated repairs. Since I've had my car, my CEL has been on about 85% of the time with the code being P01442. Subaru has replaced the valve 3 times and has tried to fix this issue on numerous other occasions to no avail. In order to pass emissions testing, I would clear the code by unhooking the battery. This has worked every time I've needed an inspection

So after I got the car back from it's repairs, I didn't think twice about the CEL, until I went to clear the code and it didn't clear. Took it to my mechanic. In addition to the usual P01442, I had two other codes P01092 and "P01098" Looking through the CEL codes, I noticed that there is no such code as P01098, so I figure he probably wrote it down wrong and it's P01086 or P01096. My mechanic recommended that I see the Subaru dealership to get the problem fixed. Subaru quoted me $1200 to replace the tumble generators.

I'm looking for other possible solutions. After looking at various WRX forums, I decided to take a look at the TGV sensor associated with the code. I removed the sensor and it did look like it had been banged up. The instructions on the sensor removal indicated that the tab attached to the sensor should be almost vertical in a 12-6 position. Mine was in a 9-3 position. I hooked the green connectors under the dash and cycled the solenoids and valves. The tab returned to the 12-6 position but for some reason, the sensor would not attach correctly. The instructions said place the sensor in the 12-6 position then rotate it clockwise until the connector gets to the three o'clock position in order to load the spring in the sensor. I couldn't get the sensor past 1'oclock. But, it would rotate correctly to the 9'oclock position. I rotated the spring counterclockwise to the 3 o'clock position and bolted it back on.

This morning, my car was running very rough, especially at idle and right after I started it. At several points, the engine was hesitating as it reached 4000 RPM. I was able to get it to work and it otherwise it was running. The CEL light is still on but it's not blinking.

So, how screwed am I? Should I try and replace the sensor myself or do I need to bite the bullet and take into Subaru? What say you ClubWRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Update

Went to Autozone and had the car scanned. Only two codes came up:

P1088 - tumble generator valve #1 (RH) position sensor circuit low output

P1086 - tumble generator valve #1 (LH) position sensor circuit low output

I guess the valve is no longer stuck. At this point, it seems like the best way to go is to replace both sensors with the throttle position sensor. If anyone has any other ideas / suggestions, please let me know.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.