Got car back from mechanic for 90k service; now wastegate is stuck closed!

This is a discussion on Got car back from mechanic for 90k service; now wastegate is stuck closed! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently had my 02 WRX serviced by a certified mechanic for a 90K service. When I got it back, ...

tr3

Got car back from mechanic for 90k service; now wastegate is stuck closed!

I recently had my 02 WRX serviced by a certified mechanic for a 90K service. When I got it back, I noticed that the wastegate no longer opens no matter what RPM or throttle position. In second gear, the factory boost gauge is tached out to the max by 4500 RPM. In 5th gear, boost is tached out at around 2500 RPM. By taching out, I mean the boost needle is all the way to the right of the gauge. There's no engine light. The turbo still works and sounds fine below these RPMs.

I suspect that the mechanic may have reconnected some of the vacuum lines wrong. Where should I look and what should I try?
    I could bring the car back to the mechanic next week, but I don't wanna have to drive that far, if I could just reconnect the vacuum lines myself.

Thanks
    I'm looking for 2 quarts of high quality headlight fluid.

Also, if you have a used muffler bearing (ball bearing type), let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as what is included in the 90k service he shouldn't have disconnected any waste-gate vacuum lines at all. If there is a waste gate problem 90% of the time the ECU will throw a CEL for it. How do you know the waste gate is stuck closed? Do you actually feel the car severely over-boosting?

tr3
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    As far as what is included in the 90k service he shouldn't have disconnected any waste-gate vacuum lines at all. If there is a waste gate problem 90% of the time the ECU will throw a CEL for it. How do you know the waste gate is stuck closed? Do you actually feel the car severely over-boosting?

Oh yeah. The car definitely is over-boosting. The car builds boost much quicker as well because the wastegate never ever opens no matter the RPMs. In first gear, the car is a lot quicker up until I have to let off due to the boost gauge completely taching out at 4500 RPM. In all gears, boost comes on much quicker and stronger. I have learned to let off my foot just enough in each gear in order to not go above about 16 PSI.

I'm not sure what the mechanic did, but I really am hoping it's just a simple misconnection of a vacuum line. Which vacuum line(s) would cause the wastegate to stay close if it's connected wrong?
    I'm looking for 2 quarts of high quality headlight fluid.

Also, if you have a used muffler bearing (ball bearing type), let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by tr3 View Post
    Oh yeah. The car definitely is over-boosting. The car builds boost much quicker as well because the wastegate never ever opens no matter the RPMs. In first gear, the car is a lot quicker up until I have to let off due to the boost gauge completely taching out at 4500 RPM. In all gears, boost comes on much quicker and stronger. I have learned to let off my foot just enough in each gear in order to not go above about 16 PSI.

I'm not sure what the mechanic did, but I really am hoping it's just a simple misconnection of a vacuum line. Which vacuum line(s) would cause the wastegate to stay close if it's connected wrong?

I would be bringing the vehicle back to the shop that worked on it.... take a look here, this is how the turbo system vacuum lines should be routed... http://www.scribd.com/doc/104227/How...m-Works-v11-01