I want to change the coolant on my 02 wrx but I am seen a ton of different instructions while looking around and none seem to be very clear. I would like to know what needs to be done before I get started and screw something up.
This is the most informative thing I have found so far but I am still confused.So here are my questions:The Owners Manual has all the answers but I will help you. This is the only PROPPER METHOD to add coolant and purge air from the system
AT NO TIME OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP
Use propper 50/50 mix for all coolant resevoirs.
1) Fill the coolant resevoir (plastic bottle) to the fill line (put cap on)
2) Fill the Turbo Coolant Reevoir (small metal right in front of turbo) (put cap on)
3) Start car and turn on heater (high)
4) Hold RPM's at 3000 for 10 minutes ( even if temp = H)
5) Turn engine off and leave key to ACC (keep heater on)
6) Let engine cool to "C"
7) Repeat steps 1-6 until no coolant is required to fill resevoirs
1. When filling back up with fluid were do I fill? Seem like just filling the overflow tank (plastic bottle) and the turbo coolant reservoir will not be enough. I.E. will both of those suck in enough coolant? Is the Turbo Coolant Reservoir the only 'pressurized' metal cap on the vehicle. I just want to make sure I have the correct one.
2. When repeating steps 1-6 do I really open the 'pressurized' turbo reservoir?
3. I have heard of added some special Subaru stuff I need to add. 50/50 mix of course, wetter (not sure what this is, please explain), and some additive (again not sure what please explain.)?
Also should I flush Flush by running water through the system a couple times? If I do that do I need to do something special to get all the water out? I.E. won't some of the water stay in the system when I fill back up with 50/50 throwing off the ratio? The car has 120,000 miles and in the overflow resivoir there seems to be some flaky particles floating around. I have never had any problems and the coolant looks nice and clean so I am unsure what this is.
So all in all is it just as easy as draining from the plug and filling up the reservoir and overflow tank until it will not take anymore??
Thanks so much in advance!