Metal grinding/scraping noise?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Metal grinding/scraping noise? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wagon with ~130k on it. Never had any problems what so ever with it. Today i ...

Metal grinding/scraping noise?

I have an 02 wagon with ~130k on it. Never had any problems what so ever with it. Today i was driving on the road and it was fine. It started to rain ( i was on my way to my parents house), I get to my parents house and head up their drive way which is all gravel. About 2/3 the way down the drive way i hear this HORRIBLE metal grinding noise. So i get it to house and park it, thinking it may have just been a rock and that it will fall out by the time i get out. A few hours later i come out and start it. Start to back out and the noise starts again. My parents ended up letting me take one of their cars home, but its a 91 big ass truck haha and i want my subbie back.

I have no clue where the noise is coming from. Lately i have been hearing little tinging noise, i just figured they were rocks, but its been a bit to frequent to be rocks. The noise sounds to loud to be brake related, but it was dark so i couldnt really look it over to totally rule that out. It doesnt make the noise until i start to drive. My cluth and flywheel are both pretty new with less than 8k on them so i dont think its that either. Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    can you try to pinpoint where the location is? does it sound like its coming from where your shifter is or where your wheels are? its pretty hard to diagnose a noise on the internet especially if we dont have a location.

check your exhaust hangers though. mine broke & caused a metal on metal tingy noise that seemed to be coming from the middle of my car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

it could just still be a rock caught in between the dust shield and the brakes, sometimes it takes a little longer then just driving down a driveway for them to come out. i had one a while back that was there for two days, drove me nuts! had no idea what it was until i saw it fall out. good luck

the noise sounds like its coming from the front driver side. I think it might be a rock stuck somewhere since it didnt happen until i was going up a gravel driveway. I just want to be prepared it case it isnt so i know where to look. It kinda sounds like the loudest metal noise grinding along some of the other loudest metal noise haha. I cant even describe it. Ive never heard a car make it before.

i would say its defiantly a rock, or your dust shield got bent somehow and is rubbing or scraping on the rotor.

I havent been able to make it out there to check it out yet. Funny story though, the truck my parents lent me died today too. I went to start it and it wouldnt turn over, so i got out and wiggled the battery terminals a bit. One of them was reallllly lose and i was in a rush for work so i didnt tighten it. Went to start it again and heard a PUFF! followed by smoke rolling out from under the hood. Opened it up to see 2 wires completely fried. I am having horrible luck with cars lately lol. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

I Support ClubWRX
    take that wheel off and look between the dust shield and the rotor. The rally-prepped imprezas don't use the dust shields for a couple reasons... and that's one. (another is heat retention from the brakes)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Update!

Update! I didnt make it out there today, but my step dad called and said that he put it in reverse drove about 5 feet and it stopped making the noise. Guess it was a rock. Thanks for the help again everyone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.