03 wrx engine ticking??

This is a discussion on 03 wrx engine ticking?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I just bought a 2003 WRX with about 113k miles on it and after about 1 month I started ...

03 wrx engine ticking??

Hey, I just bought a 2003 WRX with about 113k miles on it and after about 1 month I started to notice a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. When I first bought it, everything sounded fine, then I stopped driving it for awhile and when I started it up the other day it started ticking. I asked a friend and he said its probably the timing valves so I just need to get a tune-up. I'm wondering if it might be something else. The noise is coming from near the spark plugs area, so passenger side. I'm pretty sure the timing belt, water pump, and radiator haven't been changed either. If you guys have any advice that would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Change the timing belt and when you're in there look at the seals and the water pump. Also look at the tensioner.

Does the ticking go away after the motor has been driven a while? Is it dependent on RPM? Can you distinguish injector tick from valve clatter and also from piston slap?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm planning on going to get it tuned up pretty soon so hopefully that'll fix the problem. The ticking noise stays even after I've driven it for awhile. When I rev to about 2000 rpms it does get a little louder but when im driving at around 3000 rpms I don't notice it much. I don't know too much about cars so I can't tell if its injector tick, valve clatter, or piston slap. It sounds a lot like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLa7l...eature=related.

M.J
    Hey,

I have the exact same problem. I bought an 03 in July of 2009, then late august I had the complete service (timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, all oils, etc). After that I started hearing that same sound from my engine bay. Looked it up and some said it sounds normal for Subaru so I lived with it.

Did you find what the problem was and a solution??

Thanks

nah i havent found out what it is. i had a few mechanics look at it and they said it sounds healthy so i guess its normal? i still havent had the timing belt or water pump done yet though. im hoping after i get that done and maybe a valve adjustment, it'll be quieter. doing those things in about a month or so, i'll let you know if it helps.

M.J
    K cool!

Have u felt a performance decrease? I did not own my car for long before the tick so don't really know what to compare to..

Someone also told me that it could be an exhaust leak..?

i havent owned my car for that longer either, about 4 months now lol i havent really noticed any performance difference though. seems to drive just as good as when i bought it. since ive owned the car ive noticed a lot of different noise changes though. exhaust leak does sound possible. when i get to around 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm i do hear, what might be the turbo spooling??? or some kind of vacuum/air sound but its been like that since ive had it so im not too sure either. i just got my a/c and accessory belts re-tensioned and it seems to be making a different sound as well so theres a lot of things that might be wrong with my car lol just have to get the major service done and hope everything turns out for the better.

M.J
    I hear you!!

I hear squeaking from my tires after a good 20min high way drive; im thinking its brake related because as soon as I press the brakes the sound goes away. (may just get brake cleaner and see if it helps).

I don't know much about Turbos, but I also had a high pitch squealing noise (much like a belt squeal) from the front of my car along with an increase in rpms and a drop in power when I either turned on the Ac or defrost. Then, luckily I found threads of people with similar problems with a simple tensioner pulley fix Now I don't have to chose between sweating my ass and embarrassing myself

These little stuff put aside, this is a great car!! She certainly has a way to make me forget about everything once I really hit the road

M.J
    Hey

Any updates?

I was told that If I use thicker oil it will quite down.?!

ok.. this was in a Pontiac Peresian, (wrong car completely... but) it was ticking and the faster we drove the louder the ticking was. So it was linked to the RPMs, eventualy his engine blew a rod. It was a complete destruction of the engine, you could put your fist threw the side of it. This happened on a car trip late at night so we didn't get it to a mechanic.

But if you have been to one.. I hope they knew what they were looking for. Good luck!

(the cool thing was it made a wicked smoke screen down the high way... lol)

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm guessing you mean the Pontiac Parisienne, a car I find very appealing since it is huge and not quite US made. I think it's a different story. The ticking you heard in the Pontiac could have even been a cracked flywheel; in the OP's car it could be injector tick, or piston slap, or the valves, or a tensioner etc. as mentioned. Hopefully nothing major and the OP will be able to solve it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.