Overheating problem?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Overheating problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Day before yesterday, I stopped to get some gas and when i started my car back up and started driving ...

Overheating problem?

Day before yesterday, I stopped to get some gas and when i started my car back up and started driving i heard a weird noise that sounded like a chain dragging on the ground. I had just had 2 front rotors, 2 front brakes, and all 4 tires replaced and thought maybe that had something to do with it, so the next morning when i woke up i was on my way to firestone to have them check it out and not but 7 minutes after starting the car, the temperature was all the way past HOT so i stopped at the closest autoshop. so far they have replaced the thermostat, and rubber hoses going to the radiator, they have taken the radiator off and done a flow check and everything seems ok. their next steps are to pull the plugs and do a compression test ( i guess to see if the heads are blown???). has anyone else had this problem or maybe have some insight i could tell them, the price is already at 300 dollars which i dont have and its just gonna keep going up and i dont know what to do!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did a subaru dealer put the radiator hoses in? If so they would definitely have been done right, but if a standard mechanic did he might not know. Our coolant systems are intricate and easily prone to developing air bubbles. Too much air in the system can cause overheating fast. Take the cap off of the coolant overflow just above the turbo and start the engine when it's cold. Let as much air work its way out of the system as you can. Repeat this a few times, topping off the coolant resevoir if it starts to go down.
    This is the most obvious problem I can think of, anyone else have any suggestions?
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

I Support ClubWRX
    Now that they've replaced the thermostat, are you getting circulation?

As noted above burping is usually essential. You can check for circulation while you are doing this anyway, since the cap will be off. Be safe when doing this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Now that they've replaced the thermostat, are you getting circulation?

As noted above burping is usually essential. You can check for circulation while you are doing this anyway, since the cap will be off. Be safe when doing this.
    +1 ^..are your fans cycling on and off, and blowing hot air when they do?

ok so an update! I took my car out of the shop because they weren't helping. Which costed me 300 dollars. i noticed the overflow tank above the turbo was leaking and replaced it, hoping that would fix my problem but it did not sadly, i did burp it, checked for circulation, made sure the fans were running and everything seems to be running how it should. when it started overheating i turned the car off and the radiator was jumping and making a thud noise i dont know about that! next i guess i am going to do a compression test to see if the head gaskets might be blown, which i hope is not the case... this is really bugging me!

[QUOTE=RLKirkland;2625237]ok so an update! I took my car out of the shop because they weren't helping. Which costed me 300 dollars. i noticed the overflow tank above the turbo was leaking and replaced it, hoping that would fix my problem but it did not sadly, i did burp it, checked for circulation, made sure the fans were running and everything seems to be running how it should. when it started overheating i turned the car off and the radiator was jumping and making a thud noise i dont know about that! next i guess i am going to do a compression test to see if the head gaskets might be blown, which i hope is not the case... this is really bugging me![/Q

Cooling system pressure test? Hmmm Not saying it cant happen but I dont think I have seen one single blown HG on an STI out of the thousands of Subarus I have worked on...Do you notice your coolant getting lower and lower? Have you read the coolant temp with a scan tool to rule out the gauge as the problem?

So after the compressor test, turns out the head gaskets are blown that really does suck, my last scooby was the same way and I'm not even rough on them lol, guess I know what my next project is though, thanks for all the help and input everyone

Quote Originally Posted by RLKirkland View Post
    So after the compressor test, turns out the head gaskets are blown that really does suck, my last scooby was the same way and I'm not even rough on them lol, guess I know what my next project is though, thanks for all the help and input everyone
    Man, Sorry to hear that, are you burning coolant or leaking it externally ( FWIW 95% of the Boxer HG I have seen leak have been external). Both of them are blown? I would do a cooling system pressure test to be sure, if they truly are blown you should hear/see air escaping through the overflow....Also, these HG can be done in the car however its 1,000 times easier if you pull the engine...

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a stock STi that blew both head gaskets?!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes, this is a stock still. Besides the exhaust I put on it. Can I do a coolant pressure test myself and if so how would I do it?

I Support ClubWRX
    See if you can rent the tester somewhere. It goes onto the rad cap opening and has a manual pump.

yeah I done a chemical block test and there is infact a leak in the block... it is either a head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block but I have decided I am going to tear the engine apart and replace things what do you all recommend?

So far I am thinking: forged pistons, new rods, gaskets, front mount intercooler, short ram intake, uppipe, downpipe, and a mustang dyno tune... let me know what you all think, thanks!!!

Well if you're just going to go all out, damn go for it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

I Support ClubWRX
    OK I have to ask again -- a stock car failed this way?

Lol... yes it is a stock sti, I think it was treated rough before I got it and I know I would give it Hell every once and a while, not redlining it or nothing but a street race every now and then... I just didn't know he was that rough on it... oh well I guess!!!! But at least now I can do what I've been wanting to do to it is the way I'm gonna look at it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.