I rolled my WRX 4 times. air bags did NOT deploy

This is a discussion on I rolled my WRX 4 times. air bags did NOT deploy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last wednesday i was driving out of town when my a tire lost pressure on the freeway. I ended up ...

I rolled my WRX 4 times. air bags did NOT deploy

Last wednesday i was driving out of town when my a tire lost pressure on the freeway. I ended up loosing control of the vehicle at 75 mph and flipping over 3-4 times. (witnesses said 4 times) my air bags did not deploy. the car sustained significant damage to the front,rear and roof. Why did the air bags not deploy or are they not supposed to in rollover accidents
    God created turbo lag to give V-8's a chance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OUCH... are you okay? Is your car gonna be totaled out?
    The previous owner of my car rolled it and there is no reported frame damage or of the airbag being deployed...
    It was also in 2 other accedents 1 with another car and aparently with an animal, yet it isn't a salvage title...
    I'm wondering if this is accurate from the carfax or not, cause the car runs and drived perfect...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

yea im fine but heres some pics of the car below its JACKED. the insurance comp. is giving me 17.5k for it. but i just wanna knowq how in the world the air bags didnt deploy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ROLLED.jpg   ROLLED2.jpg   Rolled3.jpg  
    God created turbo lag to give V-8's a chance

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad that you're on the computer and typing instead of in the hospital still. Your Subaru's body probably saved your life!

For the airbags to be set off there has to be a significant impact in the direction that the airbag was designed for. Since you were rolling, there may not have been any side impact, or front impact... just damage from rolling.

Roll overs don't have any significant impacts themselves... it's when you hit another object mid roll that there may be airbag deployments, and a severe MOI to a passenger (Mechanism of Injury)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

First of all, glad you are ok and were able to walk away. A true testament to how well Subaru builds their cars. Looking over the damage (I only had 3 pics to off of) I don't see why the airbags would have deployed. The direct front end damage doesn't look to be as severe, nor does the side damage in particular. Dint get me wrong, I can see the car is messed up, but not like if you had gotten tboned or rear-ended another car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm glad that you're on the computer and typing instead of in the hospital still. Your Subaru's body probably saved your life!

For the airbags to be set off there has to be a significant impact in the direction that the airbag was designed for. Since you were rolling, there may not have been any side impact, or front impact... just damage from rolling.

Roll overs don't have any significant impacts themselves... it's when you hit another object mid roll that there may be airbag deployments, and a severe MOI to a passenger (Mechanism of Injury)
    +1
    That makes sense, I'm glad these cars are so safe... they have great crash ratings and don't fold up like a tin can like a honda...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    I just saw the pictures. There was no front impact at all that I can see from the picture... and there isn't a side impact sharp enough to cause the side airbags to go off. Just minor body damage on the side.

Do you see how the b-pillar is the only major structural piece to be intact from the rolling?

Read up on the B Pillar "Ring" from subaru... it probably saved your life:
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum06_WhatsInside.htm

(Btw... so you don't think I'm blowing smoke up your ass... I've been a firefighter since 2005, and I'm an EMT in the top level one trauma facility in the united states)
    Last edited by Sinister; 05-31-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX

Correct

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Glad to hear you're okay. I'm sure what has been said about your airbags not deploying is correct--probably didn't have sufficient impact in the direction of the sensors so they rightfully didn't inflate. That is, unless you had a flashing airbag light on your dash before the accident. Besides, if you walked away from that, all the safety features in the car did what they were supposed to do...and that definitely deserves a

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    That'll buff right out

ouch! glad you and your friend are alright
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

I Support ClubWRX
    I hit a storm drain once and it deployed the passenger side air bag and both front airbags. It takes a pretty good jolt to deploy them, unless you struck something solid while you were rolling then they weren't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by msedillo View Post
    yea im fine but heres some pics of the car below its JACKED. the insurance comp. is giving me 17.5k for it. but i just wanna knowq how in the world the air bags didnt deploy
    That is jacked up! Glad your OK.

You deserve your own "My Subaru saved my life..." commercial.

(assuming your still alive and not posting from beyond...)
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 , glad u r ok
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

damn brotha!!

Def glad you're in one piece.. cars can be replaced, much harder to do that with people. Any Idea what caused the tire to blow/flatten out so rapidly?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!