Need help!! Please!

This is a discussion on Need help!! Please! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; okay so recentally i had to replace the rack and pinion in my 2002 wrx. it is a 2.0t with ...

Need help!! Please!

okay so recentally i had to replace the rack and pinion in my 2002 wrx. it is a 2.0t with 5spd manual. while i had the rack out i started buying other parts and kinda doing them while the car was up.. so got the car back together and it RAN GREAT, sounded good, idled good, smelled good(lol) and everything. one of the items i purchased was a wot box. for those of you who dont know its a electronic box that when wired in allows you to have two step(launch control) and be able to wot shift your car without doing as much damage to your already sensitive tranny. the install went like sh*t, every wire the diagram said to use was absolutly wrong and eventually i ended up getting online and usuing the wrx ecu pinout(which i shuld of done in the first place)/(or just not of even bought the pos in the first damn place). so i finally got it wired in correctly but my car ran horribly.

While driving it is like the turbo was removed, the car has no pull and will not rev over 4500rpm. basically in 4th wot the car is struggling to do 65 mph.

checked rechecked rechecked and even re did all the wiring that i taped into the ecu. ( what i mean by that is i undid the wiring into the ecu from the wot box, and rechecked all the wires i cut that were the wrong ones from the stupid diagram)found that a red wire with a white stripe had been cut(previous owner) and this just so happens to be the wire that tells your car you have a cel.so i rewired that and the car instantly came up with a cel( by the way the whole time i was working on the ecu i had the battery unplugged and removed as well as afterwords while trying to recheck) so i borrowed my friends scan guage2 and read the code(only one) which is surprising because i have a tbe, intake, and other things that i would think would show a cel. the code that cam up was P1560 which is back-up voltage circuit malfunction

Whith that being said i have looked this up on many subaru forums and google and everywhere i could think of, i have tried checking the fuses under the hood, i re checked all the wires off the ecu to see if any were loose or being grounded, i tried having a ase tech on just answer help me, and im just stuck. i really love my car and i want to be able to drive it again im just lost. i dont know if i should buy a new ecu and new wiring harness or if there is a simple fix or what but i would really like some help. Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by 02_WRX_<3; 05-31-2010 at 11:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump...
    come on guys...i know someone could possibly have a clue about what to do..
    im thinking a new ecu and harness, but idk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02_WRX_<3 View Post
    bump...
    come on guys...i know someone could possibly have a clue about what to do..
    im thinking a new ecu and harness, but idk
    Not sure what you want us to tell you. We can't magically tell what wires you have cut or what problems existed with your car. It obviously sounds like you hooked it up all wrong so undo what you did............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

are you good at doing electrical work? because that code can come up for poor ground connections (not enough electricity flowing) or shorted circuits which is an overload of electricity and can be harmful to your ecu possibly even fry it.

My friends audi s4 had similar side effects as ur car. Its called limp mode for audi's. He ultimately had to replace his ecu. If i were you i would get a digital multimeter (a device to check amps and vots) and check your connections.
    bugeye !

pm me if you need custom vinlys.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Not sure what you want us to tell you. We can't magically tell what wires you have cut or what problems existed with your car. It obviously sounds like you hooked it up all wrong so undo what you did............

i want you to magically know whats wrong with my car so i can fix it re read the original post, i believe that i stated that my car ran great before...and if i hooked it up all wrong the wot box wouldnt of worked correctly. I already undid the wiring which i think i also stated in the original post..

Quote Originally Posted by apd973 View Post
    are you good at doing electrical work? because that code can come up for poor ground connections (not enough electricity flowing) or shorted circuits which is an overload of electricity and can be harmful to your ecu possibly even fry it.

My friends audi s4 had similar side effects as ur car. Its called limp mode for audi's. He ultimately had to replace his ecu. If i were you i would get a digital multimeter (a device to check amps and vots) and check your connections.
    im decent at electrical work..not the best but i can tell red from blue, how is the ecu grounded? I have read up a little bit about this "limp" mode and it seems as if you possibly dont have a good ground some where you can cause your car to go into limp mode and once what ever is grounded properly you just unplug your battery and it goes away. would maybe a certain type of solder cause the electricity not to flo correctly? i have a scan guage and when i scan the car everything seems to be reading correctly, tps, iat, wt, volts, map, and all that so if the ecu was fried would it be reading these things correctly?

If i borrow a friends stock ecu and try to put it in my car can it possibly damage his ecu? i think i might buy a new ecu and if that doesnt work ill get the harness also..then a ap2 so i can go back to stage 2

I would try to get a harness first and see if your ecu still works before damaging your friends or further ruining yours.

or you can call the dealership tell them what code came up on the odb2 and ask them how to fix it.
    Last edited by apd973; 06-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    bugeye !

I would try to get a harness first and see if your ecu still works before damaging your friends or further ruining yours.

or you can call the dealership tell them what code came up on the odb2 and ask them how to fix it.

i have been looking for the on like ebay and stuff and i cant find them, so ill see if i can get one through a part out or something, what would you think is a reasonable price to pay for one?
    thanks for the suggestions and ideas i appreciate it.

im wondering how much a dealership would charge me to fix it? prolly a unreasonable amount, ill prolly just do it my self.

well call them and just ask them about that code thats showing up and see what they say.

idk how much a stock ecu costs but performance ones are like $700 to a $1600 dollars so don't try your friends unless you wanna buy him a new one if it breaks lol
    bugeye !

Question

well call them and just ask them about that code thats showing up and see what they say.

idk how much a stock ecu costs but performance ones are like $700 to a $1600 dollars so don't try your friends unless you wanna buy him a new one if it breaks lol
    i will definatly call them to see what they say.. whats smarter to do..replace the ecu first and see if it works and if not replace the harness..i know the harness is gonna be a pain..thats what im kinda lagging on doing the harness..and if the harness does need to be replaced i can always resale the new ecu..i dont really want to do something if i dont have to..but i really wanna drive my car again..going from a 2.0 tubo to a automatic 2.0 jetta just really sucks..lolr

havent had time to call the subaru dealer yet...and i kinda suspect they are just gonna say"well bring it in and we will take a look at it for you" (for the very low price of 300 dollars an hour)..so if there is anyone who has some kinda clue what this could be i would definatly like to hear what you have to say, gonna try to find a new harness and ecu for a 02, manual so if anyone is selling one let me know. thankks