2005 Impreza runs warm/hot with A/C on.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2005 Impreza runs warm/hot with A/C on. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got a 2005 Impreza WRX 2.5 that is running very warm into hot with the A/C on. It only ...

2005 Impreza runs warm/hot with A/C on.

I've got a 2005 Impreza WRX 2.5 that is running very warm into hot with the A/C on. It only does this when you run the A/C and are sitting still for a period of a time (longer than you would be at a stop light). I've checked to make sure both fans are on and there's plenty of coolant in the radiator. This problem just started after replacing an O'ring on the highside line into the compressor. I had it vacuumed down and recharged and now this problem. Anybody have any idea where to look next. I'm hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jayc813 View Post
    I've got a 2005 Impreza WRX 2.5 that is running very warm into hot with the A/C on. It only does this when you run the A/C and are sitting still for a period of a time (longer than you would be at a stop light). I've checked to make sure both fans are on and there's plenty of coolant in the radiator. This problem just started after replacing an O'ring on the highside line into the compressor. I had it vacuumed down and recharged and now this problem. Anybody have any idea where to look next. I'm hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible. Thanks

2005 should have had the 2.0 motor still, either way you said the fans are cycling on and off? Is the AC compressor cycling on and off as it should? How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you had any cooling system work done recently? Are there any external coolant leaks you see? Is the thermostat operating properly?

I was told by Subaru my car has the 2.5L. I haven't had the coolant replaced yet and didn't think that would have anything to do with it running hot. I had it check with a gauge is the reason. The compressor cycles on and off until the temp starts raising. Once that begins the fans stay on until you turn the A/C off to get cool air back across the radiator. The car has 91xxx on it. There aren't any leaks anywhere. The car runs great and haven't had any issues at all until now. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Oh my bad I forgot to mention that I have not checked or replaced the thermostat yet and thought about replacing it to rule that out. I think that's it but thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jayc813 View Post
    Oh my bad I forgot to mention that I have not checked or replaced the thermostat yet and thought about replacing it to rule that out. I think that's it but thanks again.

So with the AC off the car wont overheat at all? If your 100% sure that the coolant is full and there are no air pockets in the system. and the fans cycle properly. My first measure would be to replace the thermostat, I'm also thinking possibly a clogged radiator, however the way I was taught years ago to deal with cooling system problems is to start off with the cheap and work your way up fore the worst case scenario is a warped/cracked block, I realize this sounds somewhat "unprofessional" ( which I have never seen on a Subaru). Perhaps they are right, however 05' was the last year of the EJ20 in the U.S.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.