Rear wheel bearing install issues

This is a discussion on Rear wheel bearing install issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's an 03 WRX. Bone stock except for an up-pipe. I have been getting a humming from the rear of ...

Rear wheel bearing install issues

It's an 03 WRX. Bone stock except for an up-pipe. I have been getting a humming from the rear of the car and elected to go ahead and change out the bearings first of all and see if that solves it. Problem is, I can't get everything apart to even swap them out.

I got the stuts loose, sway bars links loose, removed nuts from the lower arm bolts (lateral links), remove axle nuts, trailing arm loose, etc.....

Drivers side:
    The lower arm bolt seems frozen to the lower arm bushing on the bolt headside. Nice. The other lower arm slides off the threaded end without much problem, so I could probably work around the bolt issue on the other arm, BUT, I can't get the bolt off the other end of the arm either.

Next is that I can't get the axle to budge. It will not slide out of the hub. I even used a three jaw puller and could not get it to move. Yes, I had the bolt off when trying this!

Passenger side:
    I never got around to trying to get the lower arms off. All I tried here was to pull the strut bolts to get some movement, and see if the axle would slide at all. No joy there, and I ended up breaking the puller trying to see if it would move.

So, it appears that I can't get anything apart on the rear end to get the bearings changed out. Is this common on these, and if so, what's the best course of action?

This is the first time I have ever failed in pulling something on a car apart. This is a whole new experience. I am a good mechanic, but this one is kicking my ass.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ron,
    Try this link for pics/info from hotrodguru on Nasioc:

Wheel Bearing Replacement - Guru's guide w/pics

Click me: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787070

and also from WRXreX on clubwrx:

How to remove hub assembly on 02 WRX

How to remove hub assembly on 02 WRX

Andy
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 05-27-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I saw those before when I was researching this process. Both are for the front, but the basics are the same. My problem is that I simply can't even get everything apart. I have bolts seized in bushings and axle shafts that will not even come out of the hubs. Total PITA. I am about ready to trade it in on something else. I would much rather just get the parts replaced and keep rolling since it's paid for though.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the long bolt lateral link bolt being seized is very common- don't fight it too long, just cut it and replace (when you install the new one coat it w/ antiseize)

what I've done w/ bearings is remove the knuckle and bring into the shop- they charge me $20 to press out/in the bearings seals

you do have to get an alignment and you do have to contend w/ the e-brake assembly (this isn't much fun) however

also the axles aren't being removed (unless your wanting to replace them- they are pinned on the inner side) the hub assembly is being removed from the knuckle
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    the long bolt lateral link bolt being seized is very common- don't fight it too long, just cut it and replace (when you install the new one coat it w/ antiseize)

also the axles aren't being removed (unless your wanting to replace them- they are pinned on the inner side) the hub assembly is being removed from the knuckle

Figures. How do you remove the remains from the lateral link after you cut the bolt?

The axle does need to come out of the link in order to remove the knuckle, and there is my primary problem. The axle is not coming out. It seems like the splines are rusted solid in the hub and will not come out. Once the whole knuckle is out, THEN you press the hub out of the bearing before replacing the bearing.

I had not seen that link yet. That's a pretty good tutoral. Thanks!
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    pound it out w/ something slightly smaller in dia

your not removing the axle though (it stays attached to the diff) your "lifting" the knuckle/hub assembly off of the axle (if you can free the knuckle from the lateral links)

it's possible it could be rusted within the splines- have not heard of that before as they are usually well greased- other than a different puller I don't know what to recommend if that's the case
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    When the axles get stuck that bad, we use an air hammer with a pinpoint tip. If they still won't budge, we use heat on the hub and the air hammer.

I guess I can try that next. I am thinking about dropping the entire rear section out so I can work it easier and see how that goes. Guess replacing bolts and lateral links (if needed) is cheaper than a new car.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)