Turbo heat shield install question

This is a discussion on Turbo heat shield install question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do I need to remove the up-pipe to insert the turbo heat shield bracket onto the uppipe bolt? I have ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

Turbo heat shield install question

Do I need to remove the up-pipe to insert the turbo heat shield bracket onto the uppipe bolt? I have an 03 wrx with an invidia uppipe And stock downpipe
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 05-25-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    come on someone has to know whether the turbo heat shield bracket connects to the up-pipe or not
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

No, you need not remove the uppipe to install the heat shield. I have a Cobb aftermarket and only one bolt gave me any issues to get on. Be patient and you'll get it on.

I Support ClubWRX
    whats the point of the bracket then?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I guess I missed that you didn't have the bracket on. Still the answer is no. There are two bolts on your uppipe that you'll need to undo to get the bracket on, but that's about it. Take a look at this write up on scoobymods and scroll down thru the pics. There will be a good view of the turbo with the bracket installed without the heatshield.

http://www.scoobymods.com/best-damn-...ipe-t6649.html

hope this helps!

I Support ClubWRX
    alright thanks. Just want to make sure, the turbo heat shield bolts onto the downpipe at the top of the turbo and not the uppipe?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I feel like I'm outta touch (it's been three years since I really last posted on a regular basis!) yes, the heatshield bracket attaches to the downpipe by two bolts. I cannot remember if there is a third bolt on the bottom or not. If you are installing an aftermarket heatshield, especially Cobb, the bottom bolt is a PITA. Don't give up in it, it'll rattle and annoy you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well thanks for replying to me when i bought my car it never had the heat shield on it, along with many other problems that cost me a lot of money to fix. But now I'm in love with my car and want to take care of it. my point is i didn't even know where to start with the heat shield, stock shield, because i didn't know any bit of placement! i will reply on Sunday when i put her on though, thanks!
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Hey, I know this is quite an old thread but I bought my subie with many of the stock parts missing including the heat shield....I think i'm missing the bracket that should go on where the turbo and downpipe connect. And how many and what type of bolts are required to install the stock heat shield? I know there are about 7 or 8, but all I have is the heat shield and am trying to figure out what stock parts were taken out and never replaced. Also, I have a bracket going from my TMIC that I've seen connect aftermarket heat shields to it, but I can't see anywhere where it would connect to the stock heat shield, just wondering what that is for. Again, sorry for digging up an older thread, but it seemed relevant.
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mav3rik64
    Hey, I know this is quite an old thread but I bought my subie with many of the stock parts missing including the heat shield....I think i'm missing the bracket that should go on where the turbo and downpipe connect. And how many and what type of bolts are required to install the stock heat shield?
    I was in the same boat. The bracket was cheap from the dealership (it's been a few years, but under $20 for the bracket/hardware IIRC). That bracket has three mounting points for the heat shield.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ok that sounds good, I'll do that then, thanks.
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear