Are these cars supposed to sound like this?

This is a discussion on Are these cars supposed to sound like this? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a 2003 WRX wagon a couple of weeks ago and it was running while I was outside ...

Are these cars supposed to sound like this?

I just got a 2003 WRX wagon a couple of weeks ago and it was running while I was outside of it and noticed that it sounds kind of loud. Under the hood is not too loud but underneath the car it kind of sounds like an old Volkswagen idling. I don't know if its an exhaust leak, something else or if its normal. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its probally just the unique sound of a boxer motor... if you have and exhaust leak you can probally pinpoint where it is by smell...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Uncorked, these cars actually do sound a lot like the modded VW Bugs of my misspent youth.

It's possible that you have some gaskets that are showing their age in the your exhaust system, or some other leak under the hood. You may need to get the car off the ground, remove some shielding, and get a close look at your exhaust/manifold/uppipe connections. When my bottom uppipe gasket blew out, my car sounded like a John Deere going down the road.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I took some video of a few different places so you can have a listen.

http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/temp/sound.wmv

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    Good thinking with taking a video shot of what you think is a problem. I wish more people would take the time to snap some pictures or shoot video when they are trying to troubleshoot a problem here on the board. It makes answering questions so much easier.

I heard nothing out of the ordinary in your video, those are all normal WRX noises. Maybe just a slight puttering at the mid-pipe connection, double check the gasket. But from the looks of the underside of your car you shouldn't have any rust/rot problems anyways and it could have just been the sound quality on your vid.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

I'm having the timing belt done tomorrow since its past the mileage and I don't know if its been done. The dealer said there is no way to tell unless if it has been done really recently so it may be getting a new one again. I guess its better safe than sorry. I figure I can have them take a look for any gasket leaks.