Need your help please !

This is a discussion on Need your help please ! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, im new to the forum. I am currently looking at a 2003 subaru wrx with 75,000 miles on ...

Need your help please !

Hey guys, im new to the forum. I am currently looking at a 2003 subaru wrx with 75,000 miles on the engine. I really like this car mostly because of the price. He is selling it for 7,000 because the clutch slips pretty bad and you have to get the car to literally rock before it will take off in 1st gear, according to him this problem is caused by the flywheel being grinded down to much the last time it was resurfaced which is understandable, but when i test drove it there were no noises coming from the clutch system and the clutch pedal had massive amounts of freeplay in it till it got almost to the floor then it gained pressure. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this was only a simple clutch adjusment or perhaps a bleeding issue as this would make me happy because i wouldn't have to drop the transmission. Anyone to help me think this through would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The stock flywheel isn't technically a servicable part, it should be replaced, not resurfaced, but that wouldn't cause a lack of feel in the pedal like that. I'm thinking there's an issue with either the master or slave cylinder for the clutch. Wouldn't hurt to attempt adjusting the pedal free play either.

I wouldn't purchase it without being prepared to drop the tranny though, it could still be an issue with the flywheel or the clutch assembly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a possible clutch master or slave cylinder problem as well. The flywheel cannot be turned, it must be replaced.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Are yall saying the stock flywheel is not even capable of being resurfaced ?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WrXLover010 View Post
    Are yall saying the stock flywheel is not even capable of being resurfaced ?
    In essence, yes. It's a very stout and capable part, can handle quite a bit of power through the entire clutch/flywheel assembly, but it's not servicable. People have done it, but there's no service direction from Subaru, so nobody knows the resurfacing procedures or what minimum width is.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

if your going to open it up , i would put in all new -clutch ,fly wheel, throw out. if you dont youll just have to open it again that doesnt save any money in the long run. save the frustration an do it one time. you will have a great car and be much happier

Ok, thanks guys

If i was to pull my transmission out to replace the clutch and flywheel what are the minimum steps to take the front drive axles out of the transmission. I heard all you have to do is take off the wheel and remove the lower balljoints and then turn the steering knuckle and this should create some "slack" to be able to the axles out enough to remove the transmisson. Is this true ?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Sounds like a possible clutch master or slave cylinder problem as well.

^^ Simply replacing the clutch and flywheel will not fix this problem. Lots of free play in the pedal sounds like hydrolic problems to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a new clutch and flywheel on top of that.

Need instruction please.

Hey guys, i now have a 2002 midnight blue subaru wrx. I'll upload pics later, but i am thinking about buying some carbon fiber "eyelids" for the headlights. How exactly are these installed as in snap on, inside the headlight etc. And will the blinkers on the stock headlight still be functional ?

If i was to pull my transmission out to replace the clutch and flywheel what are the minimum steps to take the front drive axles out of the transmission. I heard all you have to do is take off the wheel and remove the lower balljoints and then turn the steering knuckle and this should create some "slack" to be able to the axles out enough to remove the transmisson. Is this true ?

Yes that is true, plenty of room, I just rest the axle on the lower control arm...

Need insight on sound system.

Hello, will someone please give me some insight on how to hook a amp to the stock subaru stereo ? I have the aux. cables aka the red and white audio cables that go into the input of the amp.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hello, will someone please give me some insight on how to hook a amp to the stock subaru stereo ? I have the aux. cables aka the red and white audio cables that go into the input of the amp.

I'm not sure what this has to do with your original question.. and I'm sure it has been answered before and could be found using the search function. (as a matter of fact I think I have answered it before on more than one occasion)

But anyways, you can use a line level converter. Hook it up per instructions. You will be tapping into the speaker level outputs of your choice from the back of the factory stereo. Next, plug your RCA cables into the line level converter, and plug the other end into your amp. Then you set the gain on the converter as well as the amp. You need to set the gain correctly, otherwise it will sound like poop.

Alrighty thanks man, thats what i needed to know. And the reason why this question is on my old one is because i don't know how to start a new thread yet lol.