09 WRX 30,000 mile service--change fuel filter and spark plugs?

This is a discussion on 09 WRX 30,000 mile service--change fuel filter and spark plugs? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I finally managed to rack up 30,000 miles on my 09 wrx. At 15,000 miles I changed all fluids ...

09 WRX 30,000 mile service--change fuel filter and spark plugs?

So I finally managed to rack up 30,000 miles on my 09 wrx.

At 15,000 miles I changed all fluids and all filters, minus the fuel filter. I even changed the cabin air filter (which was surprisingly filthy for 15k miles).

Now at 30,000 miles, I've changed all fluids and filters once again, and am also considering changing the fuel filter and spark plugs.

I've heard various opinions on whether or not either of those need to be replaced at 30,000 miles (granted, those are 30,000 rather "spirited" miles of driving :-)

I'm asking because both jobs look to be a real pain in the neck--spark plugs won't be terribly easy to change (will likely have dealer or mechanic buddy help with that), and the fuel filter is located in the gas tank on the 09's.

The dealer didn't help when I consulted them about this, either, as they essentially claimed "with the fuel filter in the gas tank it isn't really a serviceable item anymore, shouldn't need changing".

I'm no mechanic, but find it hard to believe any filter can be good for the life of the car. I don't have much faith in them changing it now, though, considering they seem to know so little about it (at least on the 09's).

Anyone out there with an 09 and an opinion on this? Anyone changed a fuel filter on an 09 yet? Spark plugs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by black09wrx View Post
    So I finally managed to rack up 30,000 miles on my 09 wrx.

At 15,000 miles I changed all fluids and all filters, minus the fuel filter. I even changed the cabin air filter (which was surprisingly filthy for 15k miles).

Now at 30,000 miles, I've changed all fluids and filters once again, and am also considering changing the fuel filter and spark plugs.

I've heard various opinions on whether or not either of those need to be replaced at 30,000 miles (granted, those are 30,000 rather "spirited" miles of driving :-)

I'm asking because both jobs look to be a real pain in the neck--spark plugs won't be terribly easy to change (will likely have dealer or mechanic buddy help with that), and the fuel filter is located in the gas tank on the 09's.

The dealer didn't help when I consulted them about this, either, as they essentially claimed "with the fuel filter in the gas tank it isn't really a serviceable item anymore, shouldn't need changing".

I'm no mechanic, but find it hard to believe any filter can be good for the life of the car. I don't have much faith in them changing it now, though, considering they seem to know so little about it (at least on the 09's).

Anyone out there with an 09 and an opinion on this? Anyone changed a fuel filter on an 09 yet? Spark plugs?
    I do not have an 09 however I work on Subarus all day usually 5 days a week...As far as the fuel filter is concerned, the dealer is correct they are a non serviceable item, ( car companies in general are trying to do away alltogether with "serviceable" systems/components )the fuel pump access cover is located underneath/behind the rear seat. I have had fuel pumps out of these before and the filter isnt that bad to change, Personally if this where my vehicle I would do it ( You invest so much money into a vehicle like this and skimp on maintence? not me haha)... The spark plugs in your vehicle are full platinum's and do not require replacement until 60k miles, so unless your chasing a misfire or something I would leave them alone until the recommended service interval...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I do not have an 09 however I work on Subarus all day usually 5 days a week...As far as the fuel filter is concerned, the dealer is correct they are a non serviceable item, ( car companies in general are trying to do away alltogether with "serviceable" systems/components )the fuel pump access cover is located underneath/behind the rear seat. I have had fuel pumps out of these before and the filter isnt that bad to change, Personally if this where my vehicle I would do it ( You invest so much money into a vehicle like this and skimp on maintence? not me haha)... The spark plugs in your vehicle are full platinum's and do not require replacement until 60k miles, so unless your chasing a misfire or something I would leave them alone until the recommended service interval...
    +1 and I think the newer cars get Iridium plugs. Here is a link to the service recommendations.
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2009.html
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-23-2010 at 05:34 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S