Boost issues

This is a discussion on Boost issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not exactly sure if this belongs in this forum but here it goes. I have a catless tbe, short ram ...

Boost issues

Not exactly sure if this belongs in this forum but here it goes. I have a catless tbe, short ram intake, and utec on my 04 sti and just a couple weeks ago had to put all my stock parts back on for a smog test. I put all the parts back on and reconnected the utec and it seems like my car is almost running as if it was stock.

I moved from san diego area to san bernardino county and I was at probably 100ft elevation when I got the tune and now Im at about 3000+ft so I don't know if that could be why I am having these problems but when I go wot my boost spikes to about 1 bar then drops to 0.8bar in 1-4 and in 5th I get 1.2 bar. Now I can say that I really haven't payed attention to my boost guage all that much after I got my tune a few years ago but I could have swore I used to boost at least 1.1 bar consistantly in 1-4 then a little more in 5-6.

I wish I had a laptop so I could do some pulls and have the data logger record it so I could go over it but the only laptop I had access to was my gf's sisters and it has windows 7 and unless I didn't look in the right places I don't think it has the hyperterminal to be able to access the utec's info.

The only thing I changed when putting my parts back on is the donut gasket because the one I had on was the wrong size when I first got the exhaust and I manually hollowed it out and fit it but turboxs sent me the proper one later so I figured I'd put it on since I was putting the exhaust back on. I doubt that could have thrown off anything but I could be wrong.

Basically to sum it up the boost only goes up to 0.8 bar which is I believe around 11.6 psi in 1-4 and the car feels stock as far as how it accelerates, even when I moved the tune I had was basically like very little power down low then I would hit full boost by 3k rpms and basically hold 1.1 bar or more to redline or so I think from what I remember. Any help would be great.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With a problem like this you not being able to datalog isn't going to lead you to a lot of answers. It could very well be the altitude. Or even a boost/exhaust leak but I'm just guessing with out any substantial data to look at. Take the car to a professional shop for a retune or diagnosis.
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

that's what I'm thinking, I just jacked the car back up to see if I had tightened everything correctly and everything looked good. I checked everything I had touched and it all seemed to be on right and tight so I'm gonna have to believe it's the altitude and I just didn't notice the difference in boost when I moved. I don't really race/go wot all that much so it might have been this way when I moved here and I just didn't notice it.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.