Boost issues
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boost issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not exactly sure if this belongs in this forum but here it goes. I have a catless tbe, short ram ...

Boost issues

Not exactly sure if this belongs in this forum but here it goes. I have a catless tbe, short ram intake, and utec on my 04 sti and just a couple weeks ago had to put all my stock parts back on for a smog test. I put all the parts back on and reconnected the utec and it seems like my car is almost running as if it was stock.

I moved from san diego area to san bernardino county and I was at probably 100ft elevation when I got the tune and now Im at about 3000+ft so I don't know if that could be why I am having these problems but when I go wot my boost spikes to about 1 bar then drops to 0.8bar in 1-4 and in 5th I get 1.2 bar. Now I can say that I really haven't payed attention to my boost guage all that much after I got my tune a few years ago but I could have swore I used to boost at least 1.1 bar consistantly in 1-4 then a little more in 5-6.

I wish I had a laptop so I could do some pulls and have the data logger record it so I could go over it but the only laptop I had access to was my gf's sisters and it has windows 7 and unless I didn't look in the right places I don't think it has the hyperterminal to be able to access the utec's info.

The only thing I changed when putting my parts back on is the donut gasket because the one I had on was the wrong size when I first got the exhaust and I manually hollowed it out and fit it but turboxs sent me the proper one later so I figured I'd put it on since I was putting the exhaust back on. I doubt that could have thrown off anything but I could be wrong.

Basically to sum it up the boost only goes up to 0.8 bar which is I believe around 11.6 psi in 1-4 and the car feels stock as far as how it accelerates, even when I moved the tune I had was basically like very little power down low then I would hit full boost by 3k rpms and basically hold 1.1 bar or more to redline or so I think from what I remember. Any help would be great.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With a problem like this you not being able to datalog isn't going to lead you to a lot of answers. It could very well be the altitude. Or even a boost/exhaust leak but I'm just guessing with out any substantial data to look at. Take the car to a professional shop for a retune or diagnosis.
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-21-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

that's what I'm thinking, I just jacked the car back up to see if I had tightened everything correctly and everything looked good. I checked everything I had touched and it all seemed to be on right and tight so I'm gonna have to believe it's the altitude and I just didn't notice the difference in boost when I moved. I don't really race/go wot all that much so it might have been this way when I moved here and I just didn't notice it.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.