HELP ASAP! New key opens door, doesn't turn ignition!!!

This is a discussion on HELP ASAP! New key opens door, doesn't turn ignition!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i got my keys stolen this past weekend along with the key pad to my 2002 WRX...i thought, i'll ...

HELP ASAP! New key opens door, doesn't turn ignition!!!

so i got my keys stolen this past weekend along with the key pad to my 2002 WRX...i thought, i'll go to subaru monday and get a key cut from the vin. so i go to subaru monday get a key cut...go to the car, car unlocks, alarm goes off, i try to turn the ignition with key to disarm alarm, ignition doesn't turn, i disconnect the battery.

i try this with 3 other newly cut keys and all have the same out come. my question is, is the cars ignition tied into the alarm system somehow? that's the only answer i can think of. if all 3 keys can smoothly unlock all doors including hatch, how come the same 3 keys won't turn the ignition?

i'm fairly new to the subie scene and any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!!
    '96 ///M3
    '96 Honda Civic EK Hatch
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wiggle the steering wheel. It could just be the wheel lock.

When the alarm goes off, you are supposed to insert the key into the ignition and repeat turning the switch to on from off. Since you can't turn the key, it's either the key itself or the wheel lock.

Even the valet key should turn the ignition.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    More than likely it was cut incorrectly

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    The 02-05's don't have the chip in the key, do they? Because that would be exactly what would happen if you tried to use a key that didn't have the RFID chip in it and your ignition is designed for that.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    No chip.

I can use the ignition trick to turn off my alarm if I don't have the remote on my 02. Must be the steering wheel or bad key.
    02 Silver WRX