Up-Pipe cat destroying turbo?

This is a discussion on Up-Pipe cat destroying turbo? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read one topic about an up-pipe cat coming apart and destroying the turbocharger? I'm VERY new to turbocharged motors ...

Question Up-Pipe cat destroying turbo?

I read one topic about an up-pipe cat coming apart and destroying the turbocharger? I'm VERY new to turbocharged motors and have no idea what an "up-pipe" is. Perhaps an engine bay shot pointing out/highlighting what it is would be very helpful.

I'm also wondering what year models this affected and if there was a recall issued. I'm buying a 2005 WRX Wagon this weekend with 65K miles. They say the issue needs to be corrected between 50K and 70K (which is about when it happened to the poster's friend, I think?).

Anyway... more info would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) this was an issue with any 02-05 wrx's. the uppipe had a catalytic converter in it that would potentially grenade into the turbo. the issue was fixed on 06+ models in which the uppipes have been made catless.

2) the uppipe can be seen in this diagram coming from the turbo

i dont know if this is the thread you read, if not take a read through:
    Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
    I'm also wondering what year models this affected
    All 2.0L turbo cars.

and if there was a recall issued.
    No.

They say the issue needs to be corrected between 50K and 70K (which is about when it happened to the poster's friend, I think?).

Anyway... more info would be great!
    I know of no source of reliable info on how many cars experienced a failure and at what age. Given the absence of info my guess is that more cars are not affected than are affected.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is not a common occurrence. It's just something that could potentially one day happen.

See... I have this "curse". One month after purchasing a car (or given to me, in the case of the Rodeo), something happens. And because of this "curse", I get VERY paranoid about buying a new car... borderline scared. Here's the list.

'97 Isuzu Rodeo? Power steering locked up for a split second and caused me to hit a curb. Broke an axle, bent a rim, and knocked the transmission out of line (I don't remember exactly what they said). $1,800 to fix.

'99 Acura TL? Brakes failed and I rear-ended some old guy. Fortunately, he didn't sue for injuries. $3,000 to fix.

'03 Mustang GT? Girl was busy with her phone on a rainy night and pushed me off the road. Ended up hitting a concrete wall doing around 55 MPH. Totaled out a $13,000 machine. I walked away with $2,000 after insurance covered it.

'02 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T? Cylinder head fried. Took a month to fix it. Since it was covered by an extended warranty and thus a free repair, nearly $2,500 worth of problems came up over the next several months (does not include the cost of rental cars).

As you can see, it's beyond my control. And with the way things have been for me, I'd be the one to have the up-pipe problem. So tell me... is there a word for "the fear of buying a car"?

I assume this would work just fine and dandy?

If you have superstitions then be extra careful when buying a WRX. Most people are cool but a lot of people try to modify their WRX's with out getting tuned and end up having problems. They then try to return the car to stock and dump their mistakes on unfortunate buyers.

Research the car and try to find an unmodified car. Subaru's are very reliable when left stock or tuned smartly.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

This one has only had one owner. He put a downpipe, exhaust, K&N drop-in filter, 17" wheels, I think lowered it about an inch, and let it go from there. I test drove it twice and felt no oddities in the performance of the car. The only issue I could tell was the brakes shuddered under firm braking (rotors).

I Support ClubWRX
    does the car have a supporting stage two tune? if not I would highly reconsider the vehicle

desiree

If you are very paranoid about getting a car, then get one with a warranty, either new or certified used. I would also stay away from any WRX that has been modified at all.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

The 2.5's not plagued with Uppipe problems?
    2010 WRX 4-door, 5mt, WRB - fast enough stock!!
    2010 Forester 2.5x 5mt, SSM - wifey DD
    '87 Z28, LT1/6spd conv. - side project
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ki4syr View Post
    The 2.5's not plagued with Uppipe problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    All 2.0L turbo cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

um... I read that.

So they changed the system for better or worse?
    2010 WRX 4-door, 5mt, WRB - fast enough stock!!
    2010 Forester 2.5x 5mt, SSM - wifey DD
    '87 Z28, LT1/6spd conv. - side project
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    1) this was an issue with any 02-05 wrx's. the uppipe had a catalytic converter in it that would potentially grenade into the turbo. the issue was fixed on 06+ models in which the uppipes have been made catless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ki4syr View Post

So they changed the system for better or worse?

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
    '97 Isuzu Rodeo? Power steering locked up for a split second and caused me to hit a curb. Broke an axle, bent a rim, and knocked the transmission out of line (I don't remember exactly what they said). $1,800 to fix.

'99 Acura TL? Brakes failed and I rear-ended some old guy. Fortunately, he didn't sue for injuries. $3,000 to fix.

'03 Mustang GT? Girl was busy with her phone on a rainy night and pushed me off the road. Ended up hitting a concrete wall doing around 55 MPH. Totaled out a $13,000 machine. I walked away with $2,000 after insurance covered it.

'02 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T? Cylinder head fried. Took a month to fix it. Since it was covered by an extended warranty and thus a free repair, nearly $2,500 worth of problems came up over the next several months (does not include the cost of rental cars).

'05 WRX Wagon? Spontaneously combusted.
    Just playin
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

I Support ClubWRX
    A local guy here had his uppipe cat break apart and get sucked through the turbo. He had both the uppipe and turbo replaced under warranty.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC