Engine Oil

This is a discussion on Engine Oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i went to the dealer today and we were talking about what oil i used and when i change ...

Engine Oil

So i went to the dealer today and we were talking about what oil i used and when i change it. He said that synthetic oil has a tendency to solidify causing a blockage in the engine. Is this just if you leave it too long without getting an oil change.

The guy also said subaru frowns on synthetic oil. He said use conventional because it is cheaper. what do you guys think?
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC View Post
    So i went to the dealer today and we were talking about what oil i used and when i change it. He said that synthetic oil has a tendency to solidify causing a blockage in the engine. Is this just if you leave it too long without getting an oil change.

The guy also said subaru frowns on synthetic oil. He said use conventional because it is cheaper. what do you guys think?
    I think the guy is an idiot.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I think the guy is an idiot.
    +1 Read your owners manual. Conventional oil is far more easier to sludge and coke than synthetic. Google is your friend if you want data/facts.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC View Post
    what do you guys think?
    What I think is meaningless. What the guy thinks is also meaningless.

Only data matter, and the specifications of the engine maker.

See your owner's manual. Pick an oil that meets those specs. Also see the oil TSB issued by SOA for new change intervals and updated spec requirements.

Generate your own oil analysis data or review data posted by others if you are wondering how an oil is doing in a motor like yours.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Change your oil at 3000 miles. Don't try and drive your car on old oil. It is not good for your car. Oil is like the blood of your engine. Make sure it is fresh and never low.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    That guy's a moron. Don't bring your car back to him.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    that guy's a moron. Don't bring your car back to him.
    +1
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrau View Post
    Amsoil (top shelf product) you can run 25K or 1 year on their Racing Synthetic see the links from the attached url http://www.usa-oil.net

Run forest Run!

You can run the oil for a long time, but you will still need to change the filter at regular intervals.. which is kind of hard to do without draining your oil unless you have relocated it.