can anyone help me
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on can anyone help me within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i have a 2007 sti with 25,000 miles runs and drives great only problem is she uses about 2 ...

Red face can anyone help me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 2007 sti with 25,000 miles runs and drives great only problem is she uses about 2 quarts every 1500 miles and there is oil on every spark plug all the way down. i think its just a gasket but im not sure, any help would be great. i just hope its nothing major, like i said it runs fine there is a little bit of white smoke when i first start it or when the temp gauge goes to the cold mark, other than that every thing is great the check engine light is not on and the only mod is a spt exhaust. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well it sounds to me like you have one of two problems...Either A the valve cover gasket coil pack "tube" seals are leaking and your just loosing oil fore if they are leaking there is no way for the oil to leak past the plug and into the combustion chamber...OR you have possibly a problem with the valve guide seals or rings or Turbo etc etc...FIRST thing I would do is give the entire engine a good cleaning, add some dye to the oil, make sure the oil is full, than in a few days pop under the car and if there is anything leaking externally it should be visable (might have to use a black light depending on the dye)...Is it white or blue smoke you say is burning? and when you say burning you do mean coming out the tailpipe correct? Is the CEL illuminated? Any history of the vehicle?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 05-16-2010 at 07:11 PM.

the check engine light has not been on since ive had that car. and yes it is a white smoke that comes out of the tailpipe only for about 30 seconds when started up from cold temps, i am wondering if its not antifreeze that is burning. earlier tonight i took the 3rd cly plug out and started the car and about 3500 rpm there was a fine mist of oil coming out of the plug well. only history of the car is a carfax, theres been nothing that came up on it other than a repo on the car. i mean the car runs great and idles fine right at 500 rpms. i have never had the car over 5500 rpms and i drive it like a grandma, only getting up on the highway will i give it a 2-3 gear pull. when you say valve guide seals or ring or turbo can i determine it myself, i recently took the car to a subaru dealer and they came up with nothing wrong. thank you for the advise and looking forward to your help.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxkarma View Post
    the check engine light has not been on since ive had that car. and yes it is a white smoke that comes out of the tailpipe only for about 30 seconds when started up from cold temps, i am wondering if its not antifreeze that is burning. earlier tonight i took the 3rd cly plug out and started the car and about 3500 rpm there was a fine mist of oil coming out of the plug well. only history of the car is a carfax, theres been nothing that came up on it other than a repo on the car. i mean the car runs great and idles fine right at 500 rpms. i have never had the car over 5500 rpms and i drive it like a grandma, only getting up on the highway will i give it a 2-3 gear pull. when you say valve guide seals or ring or turbo can i determine it myself, i recently took the car to a subaru dealer and they came up with nothing wrong. thank you for the advise and looking forward to your help.
    No prob. man Ill help ya as much as I can over the web haha...Are you low on coolant at all? That is alot of oil to be burning that quickly..do you have a boost gauge? does the car hit target boost? Did the dealership at least do an oil analysis? You could always do a compression check that can give you alot of information however Like i mentioned you want to be 100 percent sure its not an external leak first before you go condemning something in the motor...

no it dont have a boost gauge but from being a owner of a bugeye 02 wrx i would say yes its hitting max/standard factory boost i think its around 14psi. it sure gives ya a kick in the ass around 4500 rpms. i bought the car 3 weeks ago from a toyota dealer here in Topeka, the only bad thing is that our suby dealer here dont have any idea about turbo charged 2.5l. they dont have the codes for it and i am so lost on how or where to get codes? i thought all they had to do was hook her up and tell me what was wrong. Boy was i wrong the toyota dealer refuses to work on it and wont even clean my front bembo brakes for me or tell me for that matter what i need to use on them. i went to the dealer(toyota) today and asked them to run a comp. test and a coolant pressure test and they wouldnt even do that. i pay 30,000 dollars for a car and they cant even clean my brakes wow! but thats beside the point tomorrow im taking her up to the suby dealer for them to tear her down god for bit they mess anything up i will drive her up their ass. any idea what codes are or how i can get them, right nnow money is not an issue. just the know how and exp. lol what i did was put white carpet under my car last night and so far there isnt any thing on the carpet other than some leaves and bugs. but tomorrow i will have the suby dealer do a a-z inspection on her , the factory warnanty ends next month so i should be good there. thanks for the help and i hope i can help ya understand my issue, the turbo kicks like a mule man, so i dont think its the tubo i can hear it spool and like i say about 4500 rpms it really kicks ya in the ass. im just not understanding it runs great and idles fine but i have noticed that it has a antifreeze smell from the outside of the car not inside the cab. but i hope you can help me and thanks a million.

Sounds like a cracked ring. You need a compression test. Post those numbers when you get them.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxkarma View Post
    no it dont have a boost gauge but from being a owner of a bugeye 02 wrx i would say yes its hitting max/standard factory boost i think its around 14psi. it sure gives ya a kick in the ass around 4500 rpms. i bought the car 3 weeks ago from a toyota dealer here in Topeka, the only bad thing is that our suby dealer here dont have any idea about turbo charged 2.5l. they dont have the codes for it and i am so lost on how or where to get codes? i thought all they had to do was hook her up and tell me what was wrong. Boy was i wrong the toyota dealer refuses to work on it and wont even clean my front bembo brakes for me or tell me for that matter what i need to use on them. i went to the dealer(toyota) today and asked them to run a comp. test and a coolant pressure test and they wouldnt even do that. i pay 30,000 dollars for a car and they cant even clean my brakes wow! but thats beside the point tomorrow im taking her up to the suby dealer for them to tear her down god for bit they mess anything up i will drive her up their ass. any idea what codes are or how i can get them, right nnow money is not an issue. just the know how and exp. lol what i did was put white carpet under my car last night and so far there isnt any thing on the carpet other than some leaves and bugs. but tomorrow i will have the suby dealer do a a-z inspection on her , the factory warnanty ends next month so i should be good there. thanks for the help and i hope i can help ya understand my issue, the turbo kicks like a mule man, so i dont think its the tubo i can hear it spool and like i say about 4500 rpms it really kicks ya in the ass. im just not understanding it runs great and idles fine but i have noticed that it has a antifreeze smell from the outside of the car not inside the cab. but i hope you can help me and thanks a million.
    Wow is right I would never buy from that dealer again.....It does sound like its either the turbo or something internal...Compression test would prob be my next move at this point..than a cylinder leak down test....I have seen this a handful of times where something with that low a mileage was abused beyond belief but due to the mileage and year doesnt show it...Hope you get it sorted out man....Shouldnt be a problem if money isnt an issue right now... haha

finally i got subaru to look at my car when i told them that it threw a rod. did a compression test and the numbers came out to be 160, 0, 160, 160. i was amazed at how fast it happend. but i guess its going to be covered under factory. still though a month of downtime when it all could have been a bad gasket. im just happy they are paying for it. i have always thought to myself can i put a powerglide in this 300+ hp car?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.