bolt replacement

This is a discussion on bolt replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently replaced the timing belt on my 2002 WRX sedan. During the install I stripped the bolt that goes ...

bolt replacement

I recently replaced the timing belt on my 2002 WRX sedan. During the install I stripped the bolt that goes into the tensioner into a bracket, which goes into the block. End result, I had to put in a new bracket (pn 13156AA062), which bolts into the block with two 8x55x20 bolts (pn 800708460).

On to my problem: one or both of those bolts seemed to have backed themselves out of the block, resulting in a vibrating timing belt tensioner and a broken timing belt cover.

Since I have the size (8x55x20, whatever that means) can I just go to a bolt supplier and buy a replacement instead of waiting for subaruparts or a dealer to fill my order? What about metal grade and thread sizing etc? I'd like to take care of this now and not have to wait 3-5 business days.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've had to do it before. Nothing wrong with a replacement bolt as long as it's the same size.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I guess I'd like to make sure I know what I'm looking for, and where to find it. Since the two bolts are missing, all I have is that they are:
    8x55x20
    What do the numbers refer to? Do I need to concern myself with bolt quality numbers?

Mike

update

So I got the old bolts extracted with an extractor set and bought new ones at the dealer so I'm all set to go. Does anyone know the torque specs on these three bolts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tensionerbrackettorque.jpg