i really need some help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on i really need some help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey everybody im very new at this. this is actually the first forum ive ever been on. im only 17 ...

i really need some help!

hey everybody im very new at this. this is actually the first forum ive ever been on. im only 17 so i don't know much about these cars but mine has been acting up. you know when you got a led foot when that light turns green and you feel that pull in your seat like your almost stuck to it. well i dont know why but i havent been feeling that pull and it also backfires alot more down shifting i thought mabey it was a bad tank of gas but its been doin it for some time now so any suggestions for what this problem could be would be awesome! i would really apppreciate some advice if you have any

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What fuel grade are you putting in your gas tank?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

i put premium in cause thats what the gas cap says

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm assuming your car is an 02. How many miles are on it? When was the last time it was serviced?

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be that you've just gotten used to the power. Could be a bad tank of gas, could be spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, something mechanical, bad tune, lack of tune.

This is a VERY broad question, one that's almost entirely too difficult to narrow down.

When was the last time this vehicle had basic maintenance done? Spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, that kind of thing.

What mods are done to the car?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Could be that you've just gotten used to the power. Could be a bad tank of gas, could be spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, something mechanical, bad tune, lack of tune.

This is a VERY broad question, one that's almost entirely too difficult to narrow down.

When was the last time this vehicle had basic maintenance done? Spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, that kind of thing.

What mods are done to the car?
    yeah thats what i was thinking like i could have a trashy fuel filter or spark plugs or somethin like that well i havent had the car very long but its got a STi downpipe leading to a full 3 inch exhaust, upipe, blowoff valve, cold air intakeand a short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I'm assuming your car is an 02. How many miles are on it? When was the last time it was serviced?
    yeah its an 02 and its got 106 miles on it and i just recently got it so i havent taken it anywhere yet

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subaruwrx02 View Post
    yeah thats what i was thinking like i could have a trashy fuel filter or spark plugs or somethin like that well i havent had the car very long but its got a STi downpipe leading to a full 3 inch exhaust, upipe, blowoff valve, cold air intakeand a short shifter
    Id take your car to a tuner before it explodes.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subaruwrx02 View Post
    Your backfiring issue is likely related to the blowoff valve if it's an atmospheric one. You'd do well to ditch it and use the stock BPV. What brand of cold air intake are you running? It could be causing problems for you if it's one of the brands known to cause MAF scaling issues.

Fuel filters are easy and cheap to replace, so it's a good place to start, and if the spark plugs haven't been replaced to your knowledge, I'd do that to.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Id take your car to a tuner before it explodes.
    yeah man im gonna do that super soon i appreciate the help i really do thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Your backfiring issue is likely related to the blowoff valve if it's an atmospheric one. You'd do well to ditch it and use the stock BPV. What brand of cold air intake are you running? It could be causing problems for you if it's one of the brands known to cause MAF scaling issues.

Fuel filters are easy and cheap to replace, so it's a good place to start, and if the spark plugs haven't been replaced to your knowledge, I'd do that to.
    oh really i got a K&N cold air intake im not sure if they are a brand that has know to do that or not. Yeah im hopeing its just a cheap machanical problem like spark plugs or just a filter

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    do you have a stage II tune?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I thought CAIs werent a good idea until a turbo upgrade and tune. sorry to hijack op but is it necessary to tune a car with the only mod being an after market exhaust?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmaj7th View Post
    I thought CAIs werent a good idea until a turbo upgrade and tune. sorry to hijack op but is it necessary to tune a car with the only mod being an after market exhaust?
    good question, but a DP + 3" exhaust is considered a stage II setup. Though bugeyes have shown to be able to run a stage II setup without too much damage, i've heard it's highly recommended to run a stage II tune.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

All those mods are what your prob is.
    when i bought my 02 i went out and got the works for it. CAI, TBE, BOV and so on. i did this all before i even registered the thing. The car ran like crap. couldnt figure it out.

then i did my research and found out all this crap about CAI's and BOV's, so i ditched them and went back to stock.
    i then reset the ECU with just the DP,UP, and a stage 2 flash from my AP and the car ran like a dream. so fast.

Go back to the stock set up in the front, reset the ECU and then let us know what she is doing.

I remember coming out of a toll booth the day i fixed everything... i felt like i was driving a car powered by god. truly a unbelievable run through the gears.

I do have to say you do get used to the power, and then you feel like it is not as powerful. but it is

P.S. when i was 17 i wrapped 3 cars around trees just because i didnt know how to drive a fast car. so i finally went and bout an old pick up and that slowed me down a bit. all i am saying is every time i get in my wrx i think to my self you should have to show ID to this car before it lets you in, so please be careful. The car does handle great but she will let go at some point.

let us know what you do, i would say first thing is get rid of the CAI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.