Still running a little rich? Detenation?

This is a discussion on Still running a little rich? Detenation? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After a long road of solving problems one by one, the car seems to still be running rich. After checking ...

Still running a little rich? Detenation?

After a long road of solving problems one by one, the car seems to still be running rich. After checking my MPG, i'm getting from 18 average to 22.5 average depending on the driving style which i thought was pretty good for the way it moves, but when pulling/going down a steep short hill (my driveway) it tends to want to load up and stall. in the addition, getting up close to the cars rear smells like fuel. I understand its tuned so its going to be dumping more fuel than stock, i just wanted to ask before my motor says "hey screw you."

Full turbo back exhaust Catless, SPT sri intake, TurboXS BOV(i'm thinking is the leading culprit here), Scott K Stg2 tune are what the car has performance wise it hits 19lbs boost very seldmly it'l hit 20. Being that i bought it used i cannot say what else is in the car, for all i know it could have injectors in it?

I was thinking of buying the accessport just so i can do my own tuning, and adjust to my preferences but only the turboXS Dtec can adjust A/F ratio's correct? i was also looking into a wideband but if its not running rich theres no need to spend an additional 250$... I appreciate any answers i can get, possible cause(s) or a solution. Thanks guys!!

By the way CEL light is NOT on, ignore the Avatar.
    Last edited by CRFX528; 05-09-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    06 WRX ( a work in progress )

95 Tacoma ( Ol' Faithful )

I'm new.... Enlighten me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFX528 View Post
    After a long road of solving problems one by one, the car seems to still be running rich. After checking my MPG, i'm getting from 18 average to 22.5 average depending on the driving style which i thought was pretty good for the way it moves, but when pulling/going down a steep short hill (my driveway) it tends to want to load up and stall. in the addition, getting up close to the cars rear smells like fuel. I understand its tuned so its going to be dumping more fuel than stock, i just wanted to ask before my motor says "hey screw you."
    You don't use MPG's to detrmine if your car is running rich. You use a wideband. And larger injectors don't give any more fuel than stock one in closed loop idle.

I was thinking of buying the accessport just so i can do my own tuning, and adjust to my preferences but only the turboXS Dtec can adjust A/F ratio's correct?
    Not correct. Utec,Cobb AP with the RaceTuner software,Opensource,Ecutek.
    i was also looking into a wideband but if its not running rich theres no need to spend an additional 250$...
    .........and how do you plan on measuring your cars AFR without a wideband to confirm whether your car is running rich or not? You not making alot of sense here.My opinion, take the car to a professional tuner shop for diagnosis or pay $75 for a dyno run with boost and wideband AFR data.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

well, i asked my tuner a while back and he hinted towards the BOV which i can understand, instead of sending back air into the motor its just disappearing making the computer sense a lean condition and put more fuel to it.

I did not know that those products could read/adjust A/F ratios, from what fastwrx.com says is the TurboXSDtec is the only capable product to do that.

a wideband is probably smart to have, but if its not a huge problem there are a few other things i would rather throw some money at (paying off the car). could be a possible add on in the near future however. The closest shop to me is in Louisville KY and they charge $300+ for a dyno run/tune.

as my signature says, i'm new.. enlighten me.. I dont know a whole lot about these cars so i went for running rich as a bad MPG result, did not know that as well. In other words, i kinda dont want to pay 250$ on a guage to tell me i'm running rich when i'm 99% sure it is. i had the intentions of buying the Cobb AP2 just because the amount of things it can do, and if it can monitor fuel ratio's why spend the 250 on the guage in the additon of paying the 595 for the Cobb AP?
    Last edited by CRFX528; 05-10-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add on

I Support ClubWRX
    well, i asked my tuner a while back and he hinted towards the BOV which i can understand, instead of sending back air into the motor its just disappearing making the computer sense a lean condition and put more fuel to it.
    Okay,so take it off and put the stock one back on.
    In other words, i kinda dont want to pay 250$ on a guage to tell me i'm running rich when i'm 99% sure it is. i had the intentions of buying the Cobb AP2 just because the amount of things it can do, and if it can monitor fuel ratio's why spend the 250 on the guage in the additon of paying the 595 for the Cobb AP?
    There is a huge difference between using the stock 02 sensor to read AFR's and a wideband. The stock sensor is not able to read past 11.25:1 AFR. A ton of info on these cars........... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

thanks bud.