Power Steering return hose heat shield

This is a discussion on Power Steering return hose heat shield within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, some days ago the return hose of the power steering of my impreza gt turbo (year 2000) failed, and ...

Power Steering return hose heat shield

Hello, some days ago the return hose of the power steering of my impreza gt turbo (year 2000) failed, and got replaced. The person who did the fix did not put the heat shield that the return hose had around (some kind of aluminum flexing tube around it). It seems to work well now without shielding, and the high pressure hose never had that shield and works alright since I bought the car back in 2000.
    Is it needed to have the hose heat shielding or can I leave it just without it?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum2 View Post
    Hello, some days ago the return hose of the power steering of my impreza gt turbo (year 2000) failed, and got replaced. The person who did the fix did not put the heat shield that the return hose had around (some kind of aluminum flexing tube around it). It seems to work well now without shielding, and the high pressure hose never had that shield and works alright since I bought the car back in 2000.
    Is it needed to have the hose heat shielding or can I leave it just without it?

Thank you.

Personally I prob. would have put the "shield" back on, however as long as the line isnt to close to the exhaust or anything else that gets extremely hot down there I wouldnt really see a problem I suppose, I mean the ATF in the power steering system gets up to around 175 F anyways...

Thank you, I figure it is not too hot, because I can touch the hose with a bare hand when the engine is hot, and I wonīt get burned, although relatively near there is some metallic plate with a " donīt touch " sign that is extremely hot and canīt be touched with bare hands...
    The curious part is the high pressure hose didnīt have the heat sleeve and its closer to that metallic plate than the " protected" one...