Wrong inner wheel bearing seals, twice.

This is a discussion on Wrong inner wheel bearing seals, twice. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What better way to waste money on parts that don't fit, and you can't return after because they break. I'm ...

Wrong inner wheel bearing seals, twice.

What better way to waste money on parts that don't fit, and you can't return after because they break. I'm in the process of replacing my front wheel bearings (amongst other things) and I'm so close to being done that all I have to do is tap the new inner dust seal into the back of the knuckle. As my luck would have it, the seal won't fit. Not for the life of it. Sanded it down, no difference. The harder I hit it, the more out of shape it got. So I buy a different seal by a different brand from a different retailer, pay double to have it shipped quicker, and it's the same issue.

Am I doing something wrong, or has anybody else had this problem? I don't really know where else to turn, maybe buy the seals from a dealership?
    Matt
    2003 Silver Pontiac Vibe (sold)
    1990 Red Miata on Megasquirt3, soon to be getting the stock turbo off the WRX
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)
    1986 Chevy K20, 350 4x4 on Megasquirt. Brings the car home when it breaks.

Future cars? Too many to list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Put a film of grease around it and try driving it in evenly with a block of wood.

I will certainly try that in the morning, thanks for the tip!
    Matt
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)

I find using a bearing press works best.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I find using a bearing press works best.
    For a seal??? That's overkill.

Tried the tips, no more luck than before. I'm beginning to think going to a Subaru dealership and buying a genuine seal may be the only option. The seals I've been trying don't seem to match the old one. The old one has a rubberized exterior that mates with the knuckle... neither of the ones I tried have that.

I'm tempted to reuse the old seals, but I really don't want premature bearing failure, so I don't want to do that. I'm thinking genuine seal from dealership is one of my only options left.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post
    Tried the tips, no more luck than before. I'm beginning to think going to a Subaru dealership and buying a genuine seal may be the only option. The seals I've been trying don't seem to match the old one. The old one has a rubberized exterior that mates with the knuckle... neither of the ones I tried have that.

I'm tempted to reuse the old seals, but I really don't want premature bearing failure, so I don't want to do that. I'm thinking genuine seal from dealership is one of my only options left.

Yes go to the dealer..Most dealers stock them they are inexpensive (I believe I recall around $12 )...The Foresters liked to tear up wheel bearings so Subaru parts departments soon became well stocked...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Yes go to the dealer..Most dealers stock them they are inexpensive (I believe I recall around $12 )...The Foresters liked to tear up wheel bearings so Subaru parts departments soon became well stocked...
    Thanks, I think I'll head up there tomorrow. I trust Subaru can make parts that fit their cars properly.
    Matt

The Subaru seals worked just fine. I guess the moral of the story is, buy Subaru inner wheel bearing seals.
    Matt

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post
    The Subaru seals worked just fine. I guess the moral of the story is, buy Subaru inner wheel bearing seals.
    lol glad you got it figured out.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!