Weird grinding sound

This is a discussion on Weird grinding sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just had my car at Subaru a week ago for that free April checkup and they said it runs ...

Banned

Weird grinding sound

I just had my car at Subaru a week ago for that free April checkup and they said it runs fine, nothing wrong. Today while driving I heard a grinding sound. I had hoped it was the car in front of me but I kept hearing it when I was alone on the road.

It only happens in gear, brakes not applied. If I shift to neutral and coast it goes away.

The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a scarping sound like a penny got got on the disk, but I really have no idea where the sound is coming from (I checked the disks and didn't see anything stuck).

What's the best place to start? Axle? Engine mounts? Struts? Brakes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Correction: The grinding sound happens all the time now, and is most noticeable when I first start moving, and sounds like a bunch of tin cans being murdered when I turn. Kind of hoping this is just a brake issue.

I've had a slight grinding sound but it "sounds" every wheel rotation. I narrowed it location-wise down to driverside front.
    I'm hoping it's a wheel bearing at worst. I sure hope it's nothing to do with axle or diff.
    Let us know if you get it figured out.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Banned
    I'm thinking it might be a rock. I remember this happening once before, and, like today, the sound suddenly went away altogether.

I'm still going to have my brakes inspected tomorrow just to be sure because the sound was like metal on metal, not stone on metal.

What I can't remember is if the last time it happened was before I had the front brakes done, because if ti was, it was the brakes. If it wasn't, it was a rock. I'll post back tomorrow after I go to the shop and have them look. Meanwhile, I'm only using it for very short trips just in case.