shaking when taking a curve

This is a discussion on shaking when taking a curve within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i need some help. about six months ago i felt a shaking in the steering wheel, upon some ...

shaking when taking a curve

hey guys i need some help. about six months ago i felt a shaking in the steering wheel, upon some looking around my mechanic determined it was my driver side wheel bearing so we replaced it and everything was all good. About two months ago it started shaking everytime a take even the smallest of curves. The weird thing thou is that it doesn't shake at the steering wheel but you feel the shaking on the floor boards and on the seat of your *ss. The harder the curve or the faster you go around the curve the worse it gets. But it's fine if I'm doing under 40 or pulling out of a parking spot. I recently got the car inspected and my mechanic didn't find anything wrong with it during the inspection process. Also when we replaced the wheel bearing the hub was fine. any suggestions? it's an 02 with just over 100k.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This could be wrong but it could be a few things. possible unbalanced tires, bad wheel bearings are the two that come to mind.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

I'm sure many more will chime in. But I will throw out a few ideas. My first thought as I read your post was wheel bearing, but that should be pretty easy to detect by a mechanic. Have you had the wheels balanced? It's possible that one is bent so it shakes, but isn't noticeable until hitting a corner. This would be fairly evident during balancing. It could also be bad struts, or even just an alignment problem.
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

I Support ClubWRX
    Lift that end of the car off the ground and support it securely on jack stands. Do not rely on the jack; use stands.

Grasp the front wheel from the top and bottom and check that there is no play laterally when you pull the top and press the bottom simultaneously, and vice versa.

I suspect a worn joint.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I just put my summer rims and tires on and had everything balanced so that rules that one out, and i just changed the wheel bearings a few months ago. but i'll try those things that you mentioned (sd_gr) tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks, guys.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How soon after you put the tires on did this start happening? If it was immediately after, it could be a bad balance job. It's not uncommon, even the experienced tire folks **** up every once in a while.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

it started while i still had my snow tires on, and was still there after i got my summer tires balanced and everything.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomswrx View Post
    it started while i still had my snow tires on, and was still there after i got my summer tires balanced and everything.
    Most likely a wheel bearing then.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

thanks for the info man, i'll jack it up tomorrow and see if i feel any play.