noobie question sorry. about heating up?

This is a discussion on noobie question sorry. about heating up? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; first of all i apologize for the newb question. ok so i have an 06 sti and its my first ...

noobie question sorry. about heating up?

first of all i apologize for the newb question.

ok so i have an 06 sti and its my first turbo vehicle, while i was driving down the road i was in fifth gear and the temp gauge went to about 3/4 heat and i shifted down to fourth going 50mph..and it went down right away. also i was sitting at the shop just idling and the temp went way up again so i drove away and it went down again..i have no idea is it a thermostat, bad antifreeze? what? if anyone can help me please do cuz i dont wanna blow it up. and as info it has a bigger turbo,injectors, fmic. intake all that but hasnt been cobb tuned..just bought that comes tomorrow. please help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Were your fans coming on at all? If not, there's your problem, and you'll have to track down why they're not coming on.

Could be a couple of things really, but if the fans are functioning, check your oil to make sure it's not milky, because if it is you have a blown head gasket. After that, replace the thermostat, if that doesn't fix it, it's probably your radiator.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Ep_sti06
    and as info it has a bigger turbo,injectors, fmic. intake all that but hasnt been cobb tuned..just bought that comes tomorrow. please help!!
    You've got a new turbo, injectors, FMIC, and an intake and you are still running a stock ECU mapping on the car?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You've got a new turbo, injectors, FMIC, and an intake and you are still running a stock ECU mapping on the car?

Yeah...

Change your oil and don't touch the car again until you're installing the base map that the tuner sent you to allow you to make it to his shop. What turbo/injectors/intake/FMIC did you install?

i have checked my oil and radiator also, they both seem fine not milky. i honestly dont know the turbo or injector company but my intake is by spt, and the intercooler is turboxs. i do know the fans are turning on and i just bought the thermostat havent got to the shop to put it in hope to soon, and i didnt recieve the tuner yet due to shipping. is it possibly just because i have the stock ecu set up? if i switch to the stage 2 or something equivilent it may help? i know its hard to help if i dont have the tuner but thank you for what you have said and please continue to help i will update as soon as i get my tuner. thank you again for your help

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Ep_sti06
    i have checked my oil and radiator also, they both seem fine not milky. i honestly dont know the turbo or injector company but my intake is by spt, and the intercooler is turboxs. i do know the fans are turning on and i just bought the thermostat havent got to the shop to put it in hope to soon, and i didnt recieve the tuner yet due to shipping. is it possibly just because i have the stock ecu set up? if i switch to the stage 2 or something equivilent it may help? i know its hard to help if i dont have the tuner but thank you for what you have said and please continue to help i will update as soon as i get my tuner. thank you again for your help
    You need to run a map designed for your modifications, which doesn't exist. You need to take your car to a shop have have a custom map put on the car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ok so how hard is that going to be i live a long ways away from any dyno shop or anything lol so will i be able to have it set up somehow and emailed? i just bought the car and obviously have no idea what to do haha. i will try something, but i did notice today it wasnt doing what it was the other day it did seem like the thermostat was sticking or something

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Ep_sti06 View Post
    I didn't tell you to change your oil because of coolant contamination. I recommended it because of cylinder wash (gas contamination) because you're likely running way too rich because of your larger injectors and this can lead to spun bearings because you've been foolish enough to drive your car the way it currently sits. And no, you cannot run a stage 2 map to help resolve the issue. Change your oil, and don't turn the car on again until you have a new map that will allow you to run your car properly for the mods that it has in it so that you can drive it to the tuner.

My overall advice is to not mod the car at all unless you know exactly what you're doing, what it affects, what can go wrong, and how to do it correctly.

[edit] Though I do have to ask, why don't you know what kind of turbo you bought or what injectors you put in?
    Last edited by brfatal; 05-06-2010 at 01:55 PM.

ok that does make sense and honestly i just bought the car last week i dont really know what the other guy did thats why im trying to get everything figured out, i have the reciepts but it doesnt say a larger turbo it just says turbo replace on the slip. i cant really say if it is ACTUALLY larger just what the dude said to me lol. idk. curious but where and how do i get a map for that? sorry im new to turbos and all this. thank you for the help btw

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, you're gonna need to figure out what's in your car before you can do anything. You can't just approach your tuner and tell him "tune my car, I don't know what's in it". He's gonna look at you like you're retarded. And for all you know, you could have bought a smaller or trashy turbo, which is why you need to figure these things out. You normally find a tuner and schedule a tune date and he can send you a base map for whatever engine management you have in order to get you to his shop, but he needs to know what's in the car before he can do that.

The reason for my advice about not touching anything when you don't understand what you're doing is to spare you from wasting money or making costly mistakes (ie running the car on injectors that too big without rescaling them and potentially running a different turbo on a stock tune, both of which can lead to an engine rebuild). Or you could overpay or purchase the wrong parts or insufficient supporting mods (like the fact that you need a fuel pump as well).
    Last edited by brfatal; 05-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Talking

ok well thank you very much and i do know that it has already been professionally tuned i have the sheet so thats good, it runs good it just did that one heat thing so i got spooked, it hasnt been bad since then. i was reading that subarus do that?? or just turboed cars in general idk lol like i said im new as you can tell. i will see what i can do and again thank you for your advice

And see children... this is why you do not buy modded vehicles.

OP, how come the seller was selling the car in the first place? j/w

I wish I could help you with the situation a little more, but I believe the others have already helped. Do not touch the car until you can get it tuned.