Going to change my tranny fluid....

This is a discussion on Going to change my tranny fluid.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I bought my 03 wrx two years ago. I'm about to change the tranny fluid after I have owned ...

Going to change my tranny fluid....

Ok, I bought my 03 wrx two years ago. I'm about to change the tranny fluid after I have owned it for about 30,000 miles. Now I have no idea when, if ever, this fluid has been changed. So I assume its a good idea to do. Well I'm going to use Mobil 1 75w-90, which was described in the owners manual. I'm also going to change the oil at the same time with Mobile 1 5w-30 full synthetic. What I really want to know is, is this Mobile 1 gear oil going to be ok for my tranny? I've done my research and heard some highly heated debates on what to use. I've heard lots of people use Motul 300 and Subaru OEM fluid extra-s. Well I've come to find that some of this stuff is hard to get your hands on. Most people order it online and some have shops they buy it from. Well I'm the cheap skate that like to just go to Auto zone and pick up whatever I can. So I read lots of people have used this Mobil 1 stuff and haven't had any problems after 3,000 miles or so, but what about 30,000? I basically just want to make sure this stuff isn't going to cause my tranny to have any extra wear and tear on it then it already has to take. I do plan on doing some auto-x someday. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. OH and I literally live a half mile away from Draco Performance, which is a fairly well known Subaru tuner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    See if you can find Valvoline 75W-90 GL5 AT1 anywhere near you. It should be easy to do so. People dislike M1's shift characteristics after a while. See the gearbox lube sticky thread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by crue313 View Post
    Ok, I bought my 03 wrx two years ago. I'm about to change the tranny fluid after I have owned it for about 30,000 miles. Now I have no idea when, if ever, this fluid has been changed. So I assume its a good idea to do. Well I'm going to use Mobil 1 75w-90, which was described in the owners manual. I'm also going to change the oil at the same time with Mobile 1 5w-30 full synthetic. What I really want to know is, is this Mobile 1 gear oil going to be ok for my tranny? I've done my research and heard some highly heated debates on what to use. I've heard lots of people use Motul 300 and Subaru OEM fluid extra-s. Well I've come to find that some of this stuff is hard to get your hands on. Most people order it online and some have shops they buy it from. Well I'm the cheap skate that like to just go to Auto zone and pick up whatever I can. So I read lots of people have used this Mobil 1 stuff and haven't had any problems after 3,000 miles or so, but what about 30,000? I basically just want to make sure this stuff isn't going to cause my tranny to have any extra wear and tear on it then it already has to take. I do plan on doing some auto-x someday. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. OH and I literally live a half mile away from Draco Performance, which is a fairly well known Subaru tuner.

I agree with SD GR I put Valvoline synpower in my WRX for the engine. I also have Valvoline 75w90 in the gearbox. For what its worth I work for a Subaru dealer down here in DE and we put Valvoline 75w90 API GL5 in all of our Subaru gearbox's and rear diff's...

rtt

Subaru Extra S....good stuff!!!! Fredbean sells them by quarts!!!

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index....el=134&year=23

Ok so I did end up going with the Mobil 1 in the engine and the tranny. I did notice a huge change in the shifting. Lot smoother on cold starts. It goes into 1st a hell of a lot easier when at a stop light or something. And reverse is a **** load easier. I use to have to put it in 1st then into reverse lol. I still occasionally get almost a grinding sound when going into 4th and 5th too fast almost like the clutch isn't engages completely but I know my foot is on the floor. Probably looking at having to get a new clutch. I hope not cause I really can't afford that right now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crue313 View Post
    Ok so I did end up going with the Mobil 1 in the engine and the tranny. I did notice a huge change in the shifting. Lot smoother on cold starts. It goes into 1st a hell of a lot easier when at a stop light or something. And reverse is a **** load easier. I use to have to put it in 1st then into reverse lol. I still occasionally get almost a grinding sound when going into 4th and 5th too fast almost like the clutch isn't engages completely but I know my foot is on the floor. Probably looking at having to get a new clutch. I hope not cause I really can't afford that right now lol.
    its shifting smoother/better because its new fluid, regardless of what brand it is lol

We use all Royal Purple here. Can't knock Mobil 1 since it is not what we run and can't vouch for any first hand experience good or bad, but the Royal Purple is used in all our race cars, daily drivers, etc. and has been all that we have used in any car we have had since new. Just our 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by 2011STI View Post
    its shifting smoother/better because its new fluid, regardless of what brand it is lol
    well yea true lol. I still need to figure out this crunch sound when going into 4th and 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Per4mance View Post
    We use all Royal Purple here. Can't knock Mobil 1 since it is not what we run and can't vouch for any first hand experience good or bad, but the Royal Purple is used in all our race cars, daily drivers, etc. and has been all that we have used in any car we have had since new. Just our 2 cents!
    Yea I do hear good things about royal purple. Can you pick that stuff up at a local auto place or is it something you have to order?

I Support ClubWRX
    From my experience any fluid will make the Subaru box feel better initially. My long term experiences with them says to feed it regular dino oil. The synchros and center diff are so weak the synthetic seams to eat them up over time.

well thats not good. I def. don't want my gearbox going out soon. I already feel like I need a clutch but can't afford it right now.