What and why exactly causes the the stock wrx intercooler y pipe to split or crack?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What and why exactly causes the the stock wrx intercooler y pipe to split or crack? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I heard WRX's have a bad history of having their stock IC y-pipe split or crack under boost. What exactly ...

What and why exactly causes the the stock wrx intercooler y pipe to split or crack?

I heard WRX's have a bad history of having their stock IC y-pipe split or crack under boost. What exactly and why does it do that? Are the stock WRX's not meant to be boosted if thats the case? Sorry for the noob question. I new to cars. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by crispswish; 05-03-2010 at 05:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't really heard this, but my theory would be that the plastic gets brittle after a while and then eventually cracks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I haven't really heard this, but my theory would be that the plastic gets brittle after a while and then eventually cracks.
    +1..Theres alot of heat under that intercooler..combined with years and thousands of miles of wear...I have never really heard or seen it as a "common problem" though...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    +1..Theres alot of heat under that intercooler..combined with years and thousands of miles of wear...I have never really heard or seen it as a "common problem" though...
    Could this be a cause? Let say you installed an bigger aftermarket exhaust, like a straight pipe. Since there's less back pressure and more flow compare to the stock exhaust, when boosted more air go into the IC, through the engine and the exhaust thus more heat generated. More flow = more heat. The stock IC plastic y-pipe is not made to handle that much flow and heat, therefore results in the brittle stock y-pipe to burst or crack. Does this theory make sense?

I Support ClubWRX
    plastic doesn't like to be heated, then cooled over and over and over again. the 2006+ wrxs actually have a foam insulation over the plastic piping to protect it from the heat of the engine and transmission below it.

Your theory about exhaust doesn't work.... the EGTs are the same temperatures at the same AFRs... now, increased PRESSURE actually increases the charge temperature. (the post turbo temp).
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.