:(

This is a discussion on :( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my baby is making weird noises ive never heard before im usually pretty good at tracking down noises but these ...

:(

my baby is making weird noises ive never heard before

im usually pretty good at tracking down noises but these are eluding me. first it sounded like my turbo was whining more than normal but my friend couldnt hear it so i wrote it off as paranoia. then i notice at about 2000 rpm in gear but off throttle it makes a sound almost like a cricket coming from front right. so now im thinking o great the turbo is about to cease to be...

but then a day later i noticed that it makes an odd scraping noise from passenger front area when coasting to slow down when still in gear (rpms between 1000 and 2000), and on take-off it makes really odd rubbing noises intermittently so now im thinking o great its the tranny or something.

no noises are present when im out of gear or if the clutch is in...and the first two i noticed are only at speed so it is very hard pinpoint the exact location of the noises.

bear in mind that all noises are on the faint side, and my friend thinks im just a hypocondriac with cars but its bothering me. any suggestions on what to test and how, and whether or not anyone has had similar sounds will be extremely helpful.

-thx and sorry for the long post

as shown in the pic its a 06 wrx wagon with about 66000 miles. oil has 1600 miles on it and tranny and differential fluid has 6000 miles on it
    mods are:
    -full turboback, element tuning dp with borla catback
    -cobb ap with stage 2 california 91
    -cobb sf intake with mode racing box
    -perrin crank pulley
    -short shifter and bushings
    -eibach springs
    Last edited by Scuba2708; 05-02-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be the throw out bearring on your clutch

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Could be the throw out bearring on your clutch
    hmm...i dont imagine there's an easy way to test that is there?

wait...wouldnt a bad throwout bearing only make noise when the clutch is depressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    wait...wouldnt a bad throwout bearing only make noise when the clutch is depressed?
    No, with the clutch depressed there is alot of force on the bearing so it wouldnt move, with the clutch released however the bearing can move around an extremely small amount and cause a noise, Ive heard it many times on all different Subarus...mainly the ones with higher mileage and the newer WRX's (08+).... However it is possible that the bearing could make noise with the clutch depressed also....usually a different kind of sound though..in my experience that is....

o ok thanks.

i guess 66000 miles on original clutch (and bearing) aint too bad considering this is my first high performance manual car. i just wish there was a way to test it and make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    o ok thanks.

i guess 66000 miles on original clutch (and bearing) aint too bad considering this is my first high performance manual car. i just wish there was a way to test it and make sure.

Does the clutch slip at all? If you are just sitting there idling and you press in the clutch the noise changes?

no the clutch doesnt slip at all. the noise really only happens in gear off throttle at around 2000 rpms give or take 300 rpm. if i press the clutch in the noise goes away but i assume its because the rpm drops off. and if i press the accelerator at all, even so slightly that it doesnt even effect the rpms or even engine noise the cricket noise will still disappear.