02 WRX Hard Start running rich?

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Hard Start running rich? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a 2002 wrx. It starts very hard and it doen't idle very well. The person I bought ...

02 WRX Hard Start running rich?

I recently bought a 2002 wrx. It starts very hard and it doen't idle very well. The person I bought it from had alot of add ons including up pipe, complete exhaust, top mount intercooler, intake, and blow off valve. He said that the ecu was tuned for a larger turbo. It seems to be running very rich becuase when I pulled the plugs they were trenched with gas. I was wondering what would be the best way address the fuel pressure? Adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Or does it need to be tuned? Any ideas would be much appericated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 93mr2t4 View Post
    I recently bought a 2002 wrx. It starts very hard and it doen't idle very well. The person I bought it from had alot of add ons including up pipe, complete exhaust, top mount intercooler, intake, and blow off valve. He said that the ecu was tuned for a larger turbo. It seems to be running very rich becuase when I pulled the plugs they were trenched with gas. I was wondering what would be the best way address the fuel pressure? Adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Or does it need to be tuned? Any ideas would be much appericated.
    First off I would talk to the previous owner ( it sounds like you have a tad before) and get very descriptive details on the exact modifications he did/removed from the vehicle...including what kind of tune is currently on the vehicle? Injectors? etc etc etc... is the CEL illuminated?

wrx hard start rough idle

I talked to the previous owner and he said it was tuned for a stage 2. Apprently it had a a larger turbo that went bad and he reinstalled the factory turbo. I think it has a walbro fuel pump and I need to figure out how to reduce the fuel pressure so it does not run so rich. When I was driving it home the cel came on so I connected my code reader but it said error. Which is weird because it has never done that before. I checked under the dash and doesn't look like any of the wires are broken. He also said that the fuel lines froze last winter. Im thinking it might have bad gas possibly because I changed the fuel filter and it ran better for about a day.

You will most likely need a tune.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.