Two Weird Unidentified Sounds

This is a discussion on Two Weird Unidentified Sounds within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been to the local dealership twice to check this out. Once during the 36K warranty, and once when they ...

Banned

Two Weird Unidentified Sounds

I've been to the local dealership twice to check this out. Once during the 36K warranty, and once when they did the April special free check-up.

The first sound happens when the car is running for a while, it makes a chirping sound. Almost like a belt, but I checked the belts and it isn't that. I can't tell where the sound is coming from. The dealership said the car is supposed to sound that way. B.S. It didn't do it when I first got it. It only started recently.

The second sound is when I take off. It sounds sort of like the sound a front or rear wheel drive car would do if you lay a strip except in this case I hear the sound even if I take off at ten miles an hour. It isn't coming from the tires. I have no idea what it is. It sounds sort of mechanical. Again, Subaru said the car is fine, sounds fine, and again this is a new sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    the chirping sound try to isolate it by taking a long skinny screw driver, place it metal end to the alternator. Place your ear to the handle, if the sound resonates thru it may be your alternator, if it does not move on to the next accessory that is spinning by a belt. Try to lower the amount of spinning items by removing a belt.

Second sound can you describe it better?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    the chirping sound try to isolate it by taking a long skinny screw driver, place it metal end to the alternator. Place your ear to the handle, if the sound resonates thru it may be your alternator, if it does not move on to the next accessory that is spinning by a belt. Try to lower the amount of spinning items by removing a belt.

Second sound can you describe it better?
    The second sound, lol, you know the whrrrrr! sound a car makes when it launches? Not so much with an AWD but with every other car, it's like that sound, much quieter, more mechanical sounding, and it resonates more to the interior of the car/engine than outside. If you were on the street you likely wouldn't hear it at all that's how quiet it is. And again, it isn't the tires. This sound happens even going slow, but only when I take off. I could take off from 3rd gear and still make the sound.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure that's not just your car bogging before the turbo is spooled?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Do you only hear the chirping sound when your AC is on?
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Do you only hear the chirping sound when your AC is on?
    I hate a/c so no. lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Are you sure that's not just your car bogging before the turbo is spooled?
    I'm not sure what bogging is, but why would the turbo even spool at say 1500 going 10mph?