white smoke; trying to determine problem

This is a discussion on white smoke; trying to determine problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a compression test, resulted in all 4 cylinders either being at 120 or close to it. I did ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

white smoke; trying to determine problem

I did a compression test, resulted in all 4 cylinders either being at 120 or close to it. I did it when to engine was cold though, i didn't know it had to be warm. I replaced my uppipe and put new gaskets on the uppipe and the crossover pipe. my car is a 2003 wrx, ebay inlet, aem intake, cat back are the engine upgrades.

Today it is cold and rainy. i went to look at my overflow before i started my car and it was roughly 1/2 inch from the full line. I know as of last night it was at the full line exactly. Then i started my car, drove to work and when i got to work i looked at the overflow again, and it was exactly at the full line. Any ideas? Is this normal?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    I did a compression test, resulted in all 4 cylinders either being at 120 or close to it. I did it when to engine was cold though, i didn't know it had to be warm. I replaced my uppipe and put new gaskets on the uppipe and the crossover pipe. my car is a 2003 wrx, ebay inlet, aem intake, cat back are the engine upgrades.

Today it is cold and rainy. i went to look at my overflow before i started my car and it was roughly 1/2 inch from the full line. I know as of last night it was at the full line exactly. Then i started my car, drove to work and when i got to work i looked at the overflow again, and it was exactly at the full line. Any ideas? Is this normal?
    1: Always do a compression test with the throttle open.

2: Yes, the level difference from cold to hot is normal. Water expands when it's hot.

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    i did it with the throttle open, i just did it when the engine was cold
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300