Boost problem/discontinuous+weaker

This is a discussion on Boost problem/discontinuous+weaker within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I have 06 WRX with 65K miles on, which happened to stay outside over whole freezing winter here ...

Exclamation Boost problem/discontinuous+weaker

Hi guys, I have 06 WRX with 65K miles on, which happened to stay outside over whole freezing winter here in Slovakia...
    ...and then a couple of problems started to occur...

The problem I would like to get your opinions on is related to the BOOST.
    When I hit the throttle, it goes "boost - lower boost - boost - lower boost", simply the car is accelerating discontinuously. It also appears to have less power/boost than before the winter.
    The car is also idling a little discontinuously, I can hear/feel small interruptions in engine run, first only sometimes, now much more often (every 3 secs).

There are NO mods to the car.

I have my turbo checked, it pressing only 0,9 Bar (WHY??).
    I have new sparks (OEM), timing belt, all filters and oils changed recently, all OEM...

What can be the problem?

I will appreciate any advice!!
    Thanks a lot guys in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like boost spike. Check proper function of the wastegate.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Update - Oil in Throttle Valve, Hood, Intercooler...

Thanks for prompt reply!
    How do I check proper function of the wastegate? Any simple way? Thanks again for your help!

UPDATE: I also asked my friend/mechanic to check the throttle valve and while cleaning it up he found a traces of oil..... There was an oil in the rubber hood connecting to the intercooler, even in intercooler itself!! Is this normal or there is something wrong with my turbo???

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by sajborg; 04-29-2010 at 11:56 AM.

I have the same surge type condition. Mainly when on the highway in fifth gear around 3000rpm or so if u hit the gas(no down shift) it seems to surge (not too dramatically just steady) instead of a continuous acceleration is this what you are experiencing as well?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    I have the same surge type condition. Mainly when on the highway in fifth gear around 3000rpm or so if u hit the gas(no down shift) it seems to surge (not too dramatically just steady) instead of a continuous acceleration is this what you are experiencing as well?
    Exactly!! Its nothing dramatic, you just feel something is not in order there...
    Did you figured out what it could be?
    Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by sajborg View Post
    It also appears to have less power/boost than before the winter.
    Today I went for a drive on the highway.
    My car lost boost!!
    Like not all of it, but accelerates much slower than before. On 4th and 5th its most obvious, earlier on 5th I easily got to 240 kmh, now hardly, after some time to 220 kmh (not sure about mph).
    Someone please indicate possible causes of this speed/boost issue????
    Thanks a lot!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sajborg View Post
    UPDATE: I also asked my friend/mechanic to check the throttle valve and while cleaning it up he found a traces of oil..... There was an oil in the rubber hood connecting to the intercooler, even in intercooler itself!! Is this normal or there is something wrong with my turbo???

Thanks for any input.
    A small amount of oil is not uncommon. It's most noticeable where the large short IC hose connects to the throttle body.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have not figured anything out yet...first thought is a wastegate issue. This being my first turbo vehicle im not too savy on a lot ton of these subjects. Im going to take my vehicle to subaru since it should be covered under my extended warranty...even if not if anyone else has had this problem and been able to adjust their wastegate or anything any input would be awesome

i seem to have this in my 02. but mine is worse. it happens when i fall below half a tank. first gear is usually fine. if i let it go past 4,000 it kind of hiccups in the rest of the gears. and when it gets hot it does it even worse.

at first i thought it was bad gas. so ive been feeding it gas treatment and replaces the fuel filter. this did nothing. my wastegate does have a rusty rod. how do i test this to make sure its working.

this weekend im pulling the shield off the turbo to get a better look at it all. i am also going to completely drain the gas out of the tank and clean the inside of it. i am also going to clean the sock on the fuel pump. and im doing a coolant flush.

is there anything else i may need to do