Rattling on acceleration

This is a discussion on Rattling on acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 09 sedan has about 6k on the clock now, and today on my way home from class i pushed ...

Rattling on acceleration

My 09 sedan has about 6k on the clock now, and today on my way home from class i pushed it a little bit (up to about 4.5k, nothing extreme) coming out of a turn. While I was accelerating I heard a rattling sound that sounded a bit like someone tossing a nut into a coffee can and shaking it. It was over as quick as it started when I let off the accelerator.

My first thought was here comes my spun bearing! (08/08 manufacture) but I did a relatively quick acceleration bringing it up to about 4.5/5k at the next two stop lights and didn't hear a peep. I listened to the idle when I got home and it sounds normal.

I don't beat on this car at all, I keep the miles low and drive like a grandma with the occasional hard acceleration conditions permitting.

Any ideas what could be causing that? I'm stumped.

Edit: Car is bone stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    My 09 sedan has about 6k on the clock now, and today on my way home from class i pushed it a little bit (up to about 4.5k, nothing extreme) coming out of a turn. While I was accelerating I heard a rattling sound that sounded a bit like someone tossing a nut into a coffee can and shaking it. It was over as quick as it started when I let off the accelerator.

My first thought was here comes my spun bearing! (08/08 manufacture) but I did a relatively quick acceleration bringing it up to about 4.5/5k at the next two stop lights and didn't hear a peep. I listened to the idle when I got home and it sounds normal.

I don't beat on this car at all, I keep the miles low and drive like a grandma with the occasional hard acceleration conditions permitting.

Any ideas what could be causing that? I'm stumped.

Edit: Car is bone stock.
    Could be a loose heatshield or something ( I know hard to believe at that mileage). However I did have a 2010 outback the other day with an ungodly noise which turned out to be a shield got bent a tad and was rubbing on the driveshaft. Its under warranty...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your car is still under warranty, take it in to the dealership and tell them to fix that ****.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!