Turbo Exhaust System Problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Exhaust System Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently installed a Ansa 3" cat-back exhaust system on my 2005 Subaru WRX. Just before doing so, my engine ...

Turbo Exhaust System Problems

I recently installed a Ansa 3" cat-back exhaust system on my 2005 Subaru WRX. Just before doing so, my engine light came on due to what I believe to be a problem with the oxygen sensor (i.e. car is idling roughly, running lean and the DTC codes point to air-to-fuel problems. I ordered a new O2 sensor but was sent the wrong one so I've yet to fix this.

In any event, here's my issue... This may just be in my head or the oxygen-sensor problem has just gotten worse, but the engine felt significantly weaker in the higher revs (after 3,000 rpm) immediately after installing the new exhaust system. It basically feels like the turbo has no umph. Fuel-to-air problems aside, could the drop in turbo performance be caused by lack of back pressure? I realize the OEM exhaust has a second muffler (or is this a second cat) after the catalytic converter and the new system has a much larger pipe diameter. If this is in deed the problem, could this be resolved by wielding a MagnaFlow XL muffler (part #13742) just after the cat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    List the exact code. The front O2 sensor in the passenger exhaust manifold is the main one that controls fueling. The secondary one after the turbo in the midpipe is only for catalytic efficiency.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Codes

Sorry for the delayed reply. After reading your post, I'm not actually sure I'm even fixing the correct oxygen sensor... I ordered part #22641AA042 (I believe the sensor that connects to the mid pipe). That said, my engine light is flashing (my owner's manual says this is the result of an emissions problem) and the DTC codes I pulled are as follows:
    1. P1152 - Oxygen sensor range /performance problem (Low)
    2. P1153 - Oxygen sensor range/performance problem (High)
    3. P0031 - Front Oxygen (A/F) Sensor heater circuit low input
    4. P0502 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Circuit Low

Quote Originally Posted by gsprankle View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply. After reading your post, I'm not actually sure I'm even fixing the correct oxygen sensor... I ordered part #22641AA042 (I believe the sensor that connects to the mid pipe). That said, my engine light is flashing (my owner's manual says this is the result of an emissions problem) and the DTC codes I pulled are as follows:
    1. P1152 - Oxygen sensor range /performance problem (Low)
    2. P1153 - Oxygen sensor range/performance problem (High)
    3. P0031 - Front Oxygen (A/F) Sensor heater circuit low input
    4. P0502 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Circuit Low
    If the CEL is flashing the car has to have a dead misfire or the green diag connectors are plugged in, these are the only two reasons that light will flash, if the diag connectors are not plugged in and your sure of this do not drive the vehicle until you find the solution to your misfire. Is this vehicle an automatic? The o2 sensor in the midpipe is the rear sensor, from the looks of things you need a front A/F sensor and....OH and a tune...

Thanks. This is very helpful. My WRX is a manual but after reading your response, I think I ordered the right part (the front A/F sensor). What/where are the "green diag connectors"?

Correct me if I am wrong but they should be under the drivers side dash, there should be a green test connector that's not plugged into eachother. Plug those in and give it a try! Good luck!
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I'm an ass. I was fooling (before installing my exhaust) and saw the green connectors and put them together. Just unplugged them this afternoon and the engine light turned off.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.