Broken Block??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Broken Block?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 Wrx, i got ran off the road the other day and ran over a big rock. ...

Broken Block??

I have a 2002 Wrx, i got ran off the road the other day and ran over a big rock. I crushed my oil filter and all my oil leaked out. I didn't run it after at all, I got it towed home.

After going under and inspecting it I encountered much more serious problems. Does the oil filter screw on to the block directly or is there some kind of adapter in between? There's a Small cylinder shaped object with a metal tube inside, This tube is what the oil filter screws onto. The cylinder shaped object that houses the metal tube is broken off of what im hoping isn't the block. Its only being held up by a couple rubber hoses? The metal tube with threads on both sides came out and wont screw back in because the threads are broken on the aluminum part. Did i jack my engine or is there any hope? If i need to post more details to get help let me know what you guys need. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The oil filter screws onto the oil cooler, that is the cylinder you are describing. This has two functions: it allows the oil to warm up along with the coolant when the car is cold, and allows the coolant to absorb heat from the oil when the car is warm. This means there is coolant there too.

If you can post pics you might consider it. You're not getting the parts on Sunday anyway I'd imagine, so bump the thread tomorrow morning too to get more opinions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The oil filter screws onto the oil cooler, that is the cylinder you are describing. This has two functions: it allows the oil to warm up along with the coolant when the car is cold, and allows the coolant to absorb heat from the oil when the car is warm. This means there is coolant there too.

If you can post pics you might consider it. You're not getting the parts on Sunday anyway I'd imagine, so bump the thread tomorrow morning too to get more opinions.
    Thank you so much sir

How is the oil cooler mounted? Is it just by the two hoses because i can't see any bolts or figure out how it's mounted. It's loose and I'm able to wiggle it.
    Last edited by zeus32; 04-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus32 View Post
    How is the oil cooler mounted? Is it just by the two hoses because i can't see any bolts or figure out how it's mounted. It's loose and I'm able to wiggle it.
    Is there a hollow bolt in the middle of it, that the filter screws onto? Unscrew that; when reinstalling the torque for that bolt is 40 ft-lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt314 View Post
    Is there a hollow bolt in the middle of it, that the filter screws onto? Unscrew that; when reinstalling the torque for that bolt is 40 ft-lbs.
    I know, it's the what the hollow bolt screws into that is broken. I'm wondering if that's the block or if it's an adapter that can be replaced.

I know, it's the what the hollow bolt screws into that is broken. I'm wondering if that's the block or if it's an adapter that can be replaced.

I'm pretty sure thats the block, It goes through the oil cooler and threads up there.. Pics would prob. be worth alot here to confirm exactly what your talking about and to see if there is a fix or not if/how much that "hollow bolt" is broken off...

Post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I'm pretty sure thats the block, It goes through the oil cooler and threads up there.. Pics would prob. be worth alot here to confirm exactly what your talking about and to see if there is a fix or not if/how much that "hollow bolt" is broken off...
    I'll get some pics up tomorrow, but it's not the "hollow bolt" that broke off, it's the threads where the hollow bolt screws into.

Who ran you off the road? Where did it happen?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Happened down here in Los Lunas man, I wasn't able to get a plate # or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I don't even know if the frames bent or what now. I guess i'll just have to try to sell her on Craigslist "as is" for whatever i can get.

that sucks man, this is one of those cases where its better to let them hit you vs letting them run you into something.

I'd go looking for another shortblock before I'd sell the whole car.. but thats me. I dont know what kind of resources you have to be able to do that work.

Is it the car in your avatar? That REALLY sucks.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    that sucks man, this is one of those cases where its better to let them hit you vs letting them run you into something.

I'd go looking for another shortblock before I'd sell the whole car.. but thats me. I dont know what kind of resources you have to be able to do that work.

Is it the car in your avatar? That REALLY sucks.
    Ya it is man, vf34'd, full borla hush, and much much more. Im just worried i may have tweaked the frame also so im scared to fix the block then find out I have a horrible wobble or somethin where its not driveable. Anyway i can check the alignment of the car before dropping all this cash? The Reason im thinkin its tweaked out is because my engine hood stays popped up about an inch now.

Ya it is man, vf34'd, full borla hush, and much much more. Im just worried i may have tweaked the frame also so im scared to fix the block then find out I have a horrible wobble or somethin where its not driveable. Anyway i can check the alignment of the car before dropping all this cash? The Reason im thinkin its tweaked out is because my engine hood stays popped up about an inch now.
    YES ! I would def check the alignment before you go selling the vehicle, There are subframes on these cars and I have replaced a few of them, pretty simple actually, however finding a good used one could be difficult... I believe beatrush sells a gold aftermarket one for around $750...Pics are worth alot here....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast