Head Gasket Help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Head Gasket Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My WRX has been at the shop for the last 2 months now. The garage is installing a new (stock) ...

Head Gasket Help!

My WRX has been at the shop for the last 2 months now. The garage is installing a new (stock) turbo, and checking all of the torque specifications throughout. They claim they cannot torque the head bolts because it requires a special tool that is no longer made, and they cannot buy. Their solution is they are going to make one???. My question is: Is there really a special tool needed to do this, or am I getting jerked around? I want/need my car back.!.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    No mods to speak of

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I remember correctly I think all you need is a 12 walled 14mm socket thats what I think I uesed but this was 2 years ago when I spun a rod bearing.

Thanks. I'm getting a baaad feeling about this though. I've driven by the place every day for the last two months and my car hasn't even moved. Every time I call to ask about it, the answer is that "it's next in line and will probably go in tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 View Post
    If I remember correctly I think all you need is a 12 walled 14mm socket thats what I think I uesed but this was 2 years ago when I spun a rod bearing.
    That is correct, a 12 point 14mm socket is required to torque them to spec, however this isnt considered a "special tool" did they replace the HG's or are they just checking the spec? They prob dont feel like pulling the Valve covers, undoing the motor mounts and moving the engine over to just check the spec of the head bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by beverett82 View Post
    Thanks. I'm getting a baaad feeling about this though. I've driven by the place every day for the last two months and my car hasn't even moved. Every time I call to ask about it, the answer is that "it's next in line and will probably go in tomorrow."
    They've had your car for two months, and your just now getting a bad feeling?
    That is way too long.

Have they done anything with the car? Is it possible to take the car somewhere else?

This was the result of deer damage that occured in October of 2009. It was a very sticky situation because a Subaru dealer went through the engine and replaced the timing chain, valves/springs, but did horrible work that caused something to ruin the turbo.. So the initial hold up was because of the insurance company. However, the adjuster cleared my car for all necessary repairs in February and it hasn't moved yet. There really are no other garages that will work on a Subaru where I live, or anywhere close..

This was the result of deer damage that occured in October of 2009. It was a very sticky situation because a Subaru dealer went through the engine and replaced the timing chain, valves/springs, but did horrible work that caused something to ruin the turbo.. So the initial hold up was because of the insurance company. However, the adjuster cleared my car for all necessary repairs in February and it hasn't moved yet. There really are no other garages that will work on a Subaru where I live, or anywhere close..
    Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that, usually dealers are pretty reputable...:/ Not that this has relevance really but the WRX has a timing belt not a chain...Not to sound like some arrogant prick...

lol. I'm new! ! I got my WRX in late July, got to enjoy until early october, and haven't been in it since..... it sucks. I have never heard of a car taking this long for repairs.

lol. I'm new! ! I got my WRX in late July, got to enjoy until early october, and haven't been in it since..... it sucks. I have never heard of a car taking this long for repairs.

Yea that sucks man, I would go there today, get the car and take it somewhere else, especially if the insurance has agreed to pay...

I Support ClubWRX
    YouTube - I Got Three of My Best Guys On It - Pep Boys Commercial

wow. That is pretty much exactly how it is.. It is a lot funnier seeing it on youtube! FML! !

Ok, after reading everyone's posts, as well as calliing a reputible Subaru dealer, it's clear that there is no special tool required to torque the head bolts on a 2002 wrx. I told this to the shop where my car is, and a couple hours later i got a voicemail saying that the special tool was actually for the cams. Can anyone verify anything like this? Thanks in advance.

This is a head/cam/timing belt instruction cheat sheet.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/lethals-wr...d-t12387.html?

Special tools are not mentioned.
    The only special tools I can think of are a torque wrench, and 6 sided sockets.

Ok, after reading everyone's posts, as well as calliing a reputible Subaru dealer, it's clear that there is no special tool required to torque the head bolts on a 2002 wrx. I told this to the shop where my car is, and a couple hours later i got a voicemail saying that the special tool was actually for the cams. Can anyone verify anything like this? Thanks in advance.
    There is a special tool called a pin spanner wrench however on this model/year its more like a huge huge multi point socket wrench, so yes there is a special tool required to hold the cam in place while you torque the hex head bolt however I have tightened these with a decent strap wrench instead of using the tool ( be careful though fore your cam gears are made of like a plastic resin )... I would still just go demand my keys and take my car to perhaps another dealer...lol

My only fear in doing that would be since they have already taken taken the old turbo off and done a few other things, taking the car elsewhere might cause problems since the job has already been started. Also, the insurance co will not put up any repair money if i move the car at this time. Does anyone know where I could purchase the spanner wrench tool??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.