Is my turbo bad?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is my turbo bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok heres my problem, my car (2002 wrx) was running perfect a few weeks ago, but I recently put headers, ...

Is my turbo bad?

Ok heres my problem, my car (2002 wrx) was running perfect a few weeks ago, but I recently put headers, up pipe, catless turboback exhaust, big 16g turbo, sti 565 injectors, 255lph fuel pump, and huge Tmic, the car starts just fine and idles fine but now I get white smoke out of my exhaust and the turbo whines really loud and a lot of smoke comes out under boost. Is this a sign that I have a bag turbo with bad seals? Or should I wait for my pro-tune to get here using my access port to tune before I say anything, To me it seems like a bad turbo though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wannadrive View Post
    Ok heres my problem, my car (2002 wrx) was running perfect a few weeks ago, but I recently put headers, up pipe, catless turboback exhaust, big 16g turbo, sti 565 injectors, 255lph fuel pump, and huge Tmic, the car starts just fine and idles fine but now I get white smoke out of my exhaust and the turbo whines really loud and a lot of smoke comes out under boost. Is this a sign that I have a bag turbo with bad seals? Or should I wait for my pro-tune to get here using my access port to tune before I say anything, To me it seems like a bad turbo though.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING THE CAR WITHOUT A TUNE...If you must drive YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN BOOOOOOSSST

Why the heck you think driving with all those mods and no tune is a good idea? (this should be good) From the list, You NEED a tune to rescale the pinks to work by itself. not to mention a turbo that is bigger than stock, im not even gonna go there... WAY TO GO RIK
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    please do yourself a favor and do not do a single mod ever again until you know what your doing. Sounds like a bad install along with no tune.

Dear lord, poor suby
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Wait.... The end of the post is confusing. OP needs to clarify:

1) Do you currently have an AP?

2) Did you load the Cobb Accessport map that was on the AP for a 16g setup?:

Hardware Requirements: Forced Performance 16G turbo specifically, STi or equivalent TMIC, Denso/STi pink fuel injectors, .052” restrictor pill, & turbo-back exhaust system on an otherwise stock vehicle.
    It could be he/she has an AP, loaded the canned map, but was planning on doing a protune at a later date.
    Last edited by Pavia; 04-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Regardless, folks should stick with helping out and not flaming someone with 2 posts.

OP - are you running the cobb 16g map and do you have the restrictor pill? Do you know how much it was boosting?

It does sound like the turbo may be borked. It is not acceptable for a turbo to be making noise other than the standard spool noise and I would be worried about bits getting sucked into the motor (however improbable that might be given the intercooler). It should not be smoking and a protune will not fix that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

A blocked oil or coolant line during the install could lead to a turbo fail or damage.

I wouldn't have been concerned with a bit of white coolant smoke on startup, but the bad sound and constant smoke is not good.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

First off guys I have not been driving the car, everything was installed correctly, I only started the car up just to see if it would start. I have a pro-tune using my access port now, but that white smoke is still there and is building oil deposits in my exhaust, which to me sounds like I have a bad oil seal in the turbo but the turbo also whines very loud like something is wrong with it, The tech out here said it sounds like I got a defective turbo. Even though the turbo is brand new. Oh and there is no restrictor pill because I am using a turbo xs dual stage boost controller but its set to low boost right now until either I find a fix or just go get a new turbo.
    Last edited by wannadrive; 04-20-2010 at 12:31 PM.

^^^ then either it's a bad turbo or it was damaged during the test session when you boosted.

a lot of smoke comes out under boost.
    Either way, back it goes... cause it's certainly not working right.

Ouch... poor engine got knocked the **** out!!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Ok guys I found the problem to my turbo, I took it all apart and pulled the turbo off and to my surprise there was a rock in the oil return line that blocked it up and since the oil had no where to go it blew my seals and dumped all the oil into the exhaust and intercooler, I have a new turbo on the way, Evo III big 16g. ****ING ROCKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wannadrive View Post
    Ok guys I found the problem to my turbo, I took it all apart and pulled the turbo off and to my surprise there was a rock in the oil return line that blocked it up and since the oil had no where to go it blew my seals and dumped all the oil into the exhaust and intercooler, I have a new turbo on the way, Evo III big 16g. ****ING ROCKS!!!!
    Glad we could help. 16g should be nice

Yes thanks for all the ideas guys.

Any idea how you got a rock in the oil return line?

Pictures?

My guess is that somehow it fell in there when I did the turbo swap because once I took my stock turbo off I didn't get around to installing the new until the next day.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.