05 wrx turbo replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 wrx turbo replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am truck sales manager at a GMC/Cadillac dealer, but there is also a Subaru, Kia and Mercedes store in ...

Question 05 wrx turbo replacement

I am truck sales manager at a GMC/Cadillac dealer, but there is also a Subaru, Kia and Mercedes store in our group.

My daughter just bought a 2005 WRX with 60K mi.
    The center diff was out & I had a tech at our Subaru store rebuild it.
    Now that it is driveable, it seem the turbo is not working.
    The genuine Subaru parts seem a little high, even with a dealership employee discount.
    I don't want to do a lot of mods to the car as my grandson will be driving it in a couple years and I think the stock horses are enough for a 16 year old.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement turbo at a good price?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome to the Club!

I'd look for a used TD04 turbo. They can be had for $100 - $150. I'll PM one of our other moderators who might be able to put you onto a reliable used snail.

Moving to General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

Blouch Turbo Inc. - Turbo, turbochargers and performance turbochargers

^^ They can probably hook you up with a rebuilt - give 'em a call.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Just out off curiosity what was the diagnosis that lead you to believe the turbo is shot? Had the car been previously modded?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

turbo

The turbo whines and the tech at the Subaru dealership that rebuilt the transmission, himself a WRX owner, said he believed it was 'gone'.
    If it was modded, I can't see it.
    I do know the stock cluster was replaced with an STI cluster.
    The rear diff temp warning light is always on...but there is no rear diff sensor on this model.

I have been researching and found several turbos at Turbo-Kits.com - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 Subaru WRX & STi Turbo Kits & Turbo Upgrades
    it looks like $699 (+ $69 for water line kit) for a new Mits 16G.
    Last edited by cargod; 04-17-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: additional info

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally the cheap version of this repair is to buy a used on off ebay or forum classifieds. With 60K I'm surprised the turbo is gone if the car was mostly stock.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

turbo

with the cluster replaced and the transmission out (the tech said the transmission has been disassembled before, it was assembled with clear silicone ) I am begging to wonder if the miles represented are actual.

new turbo Big G16

The least expensive TD04 I can find is $225 and is off a car with 105K miles.
    I see a Big G16 Turbo, brand new, for $285.
    Are there any internal mods required to make that work without blowing the thing up?

I Support ClubWRX
    You mean a Mitsubishi Big 16G? You would need larger injectors,fuel pump,turbo back exhaust and an ECU retune at a minimum. I would be carefull about buying a brand new turbo for $300. You might just end up with a $300 door stopper. From reputable vendors those turbos run $600+ new. Just stick with the stock turbo. Try looking at the classifieds on this forum,NASIOC or even hit up Ebay for a used one.
    Last edited by Donkey; 04-19-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for letting me know that.
    I had seen them several places for $699, kinda made me think...if it sounds too good to be true...
    So unless I can find a good used TD04, I will end up spending a whole lot of $$ that I don't want to.
    I had a bad feeling when my daughter started this whole deal, now I know why!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cargod View Post
    Thanks for letting me know that.
    I had seen them several places for $699, kinda made me think...if it sounds too good to be true...
    So unless I can find a good used TD04, I will end up spending a whole lot of $$ that I don't want to.
    Like mentioned earlier,just give Blouch a call and get the turbo rebuilt.

Blouch Turbo Inc. - Turbo, turbochargers and performance turbochargers
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks, I emailed Blouch, we'll see what they charge.
    Hopefully they do core charge/immediate shipping.

My daughter would whine louder than the turbo if I take her car down again for more than a day! LOL

finished with upfit/repair

Once I got into the turbo system, I discovered that the cat in the up pipe had gone to pieces and the pipe was 95% plugged.
    I'm sure the debris from the bad cat killed the stock turbo.
    I ended up with a Big 16G turbo from CXRacing.com, a stock STI intercooler & up pipe, pink injectors (560), Walbro fuel pump and stock STI exhaust. I had a guy from the local Subaru group come over with his laptop & 'special software' and retune it.
    The turbo starts to spool at about 3700RPM and pulls hard through redline.
    From what I am told by the tuner, this WRX is just a little ahead of what a stock STI would be.

Sounds nice...

I was going to say I have a used TD04 in my attic off my car (~10K miles), but your setup is more fun

If the cluster has been swapped with an STI unit, then yes, the mileage is likely not correct (unless the previous owner happened to buy an STI cluster that had similar mileage).

Your right about the red light on the diff. It can be dealt with though (I'd check NASIOC).

You saw the result of the catted UP to a turbo, which is why it's common here to change to a catless UP around here on 02-05 WRX's. It does sound like the car might have a bit more mileage than you thought. You might want to consider that the sparkplugs, coolant, timing belt, and other maintenance items might be at 100K mark.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

All I can say is.... coolest dad ever!
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

up pipe...stir fried cat anyone?

I got a new to me (used) up pipe along with the stock STI intercooler & exhaust The up pipe was nice and clean inside when I installed it. Running with no cat may not be 'proper', but we don't have emmission testing here.
    The car also has an STI spoiler on the back, but the idiot that installed it buggered up the inside of the trunk lid pretty good getting it to fit. It looks like he took vice grips and peeled back the metal around the bolt access holes. Nasty & sharp and it leaks into the trunk when it rains. I may replace the decklid next.
    This WRX may not be as quick as my '69 Roadrunner with the 426 Hemi & dual 4's was, but it pulls pretty good!
    At 140MPH it was still pulling hard, but the tires are only rated for 130, so the old guy chickened...LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast