Loss of Power on the Highway

This is a discussion on Loss of Power on the Highway within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; While driving to work this morning I had the cruise set at 70 mph when the car stated to loose ...

Loss of Power on the Highway

While driving to work this morning I had the cruise set at 70 mph when the car stated to loose power and then regain the power almost instantly, when I got off the highway as soon as I took my foot of the accelerator the car died and I had to coast in neutral to the light. The wrx is an 06' with 80000+ miles on it. I think that the alternator may need to be replaced, any suggestions that anyone has will be very helpful. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What kind of power did you loose? Electrical power or engine power?...So did the car completely die and you had to get it towed or jumped? As you mentioned always start off with the basic checks first such as a battery load test and an alt. output test..assuming you lost electrical power that is...If it wasnt electrical power that was lost and it was engine power what happened after you coasted to the light in neutral than put it in gear again and started moving? Is the CEL illuminated? Any abnormal noises or smells or visible leaks or anything?